chicken with swollen leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erinszoo, Dec 11, 2011.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    One of our barred rock girls started limping a couple of days ago. At the time we couldn't find anything wrong with her and figured she had just jumped wrong at some point. But today her leg and foot is swollen. We've checked it all closely and there don't appear to be any broken bones, or cuts or other wounds. She is eating fine and moving around hopping on one foot. She is even laying eggs still as she lays in a corner of the yard rather than in a nest box. She is trying to put the foot down when she walks. Is there anything we can do for her to help with the swelling or should we just let it run its course? And could it be anything other than just a pulled muscle or sprain of some kind? Thanks.

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Search Bumblefoot, read up on that, and check the roost for splinters or rough spots.... or, surprisingly.. worms can cause limping. Not swelling that I know of (?), but limping, yes.

Search "Bumblefoot", "worming", "limping and worms"....

You might also separate her from the others.. it was a shock to me when my hens "murdered" a weak, but recovering sickly hen.

It would be good, if you are not too new here and can.. take a picture and post it (via Uploads) of the foot and swelling.

How old is she? How old are the others in the flock? Have you ever wormed the flock?

Good luck.

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    In the meantime it would not hurt to soak the leg in warm epsom salts water.

4. erinszoo

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info. She doesn't have any obvious scabs on her foot so we aren't sure if it's bumblefoot but we are going to soak her foot in epsom salts and isolate her in our resident "hotel" (heated greenhouse) so it's at least easier for her to get food and water and she won't be susceptible to being picked on by the others. She's already at the bottom of the pecking order.

They have branches from our pecan tree and crepe myrtle as roosts so there shouldn't be any chance of splinters, but given that they free range most of the day she could have gotten into other things.

5. erinszoo

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Quote:She's 6 1/2 months. We have ten barred rocks that are 6 1/2 months as well as our turkey, geese, and duck. We also have 4 red star, 5 white leghorns, and an EE that are 11 weeks. We've only released the little ones in with the big ones in the last two days. None of them have been wormed but the whole flock was tested for several things in September and came up clean. We've only used one hatchery.

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I'd separate her for awhile to give her leg a rest. Dog crates work great for this. She may have hurt it jumping from the roost or who knows.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  7. rocky chicken

rocky chicken New Egg

Jun 27, 2012
    i have got the same problem with one of my hens, her back toe is very inflamed (twice its size ), and the same leg is very swollen and hot to the touch... i have been bathing the foot each day to relive the swelling with HIBI SCRUB ( ANTISEPTIC)
    this comes in a consentrated form and needs to be diluted. i just hope it works. It usually dose..
    Hope this helps you.

8. Muffie

Muffie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2014
    Hi Iwe just noticed one of our chickens limping she does some weight bearing. Here is the picture. Do I give her antibiotics to help the swelling the leg feels warm she is still fiery active in face when we brought her in the house she flew on top of the stove ugggg.here are some pictures ty

9. Muffie

Feb 9, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Muffie

Feb 9, 2014
    Chicken is still withies. I think she must have broken it or something it is crooked and she runs funny but very healthy otherwise. You an see it causes her pain. I've soaked her in Epsom salts but no change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by