CHICKEN WITH WORMS.. I did not know chicken got worms!!!

Hey I found a 2 inch roundworm in our coop today and dewormed them right away. None of the hens are acting different at all...my question is how do i figure out which of my ladies is infected????

Now I'm getting worried. My chicks are 7 weeks old. As a treat, I've been giving them fresh dug earth worms; maybe about twice a week, just about four worms that I toss to them so some get them and some don't. Should I work my flock?

When do you worm? I have 4 week old chicks and don't know if they have already been wormed as hatchlings before I got them. Is this a preventive process with chickens and you have them on a worming schedule like you do with horses? Do you worm if you haven't seen any sign of them and everybody's healthy?

Thanks,
Becky

When do you worm? I have 4 week old chicks and don't know if they have already been wormed as hatchlings before I got them. Is this a preventive process with chickens and you have them on a worming schedule like you do with horses? Do you worm if you haven't seen any sign of them and everybody's healthy?

Thanks,
Becky
Hey, Dawg's one of the best authorities on this subject in my humble opinion.
Go back and read on page 2. Look for his replies in the past, write him a note. I don't think he will mind, nice guy!

Not exactly sure as to when to start. I'm thinking the earliest is 5 to 6 months, just before they lay eggs. Preferably, during their 1st molt, at, about 1 year to 18 months depending on how much hot/wet weather you get, how often they range and/or 1st sighting in feces for sure.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hey, Dawg's one of the best authorities on this subject in my humble opinion.
Go back and read on page 2. Look for his replies in the past, write him a note. I don't think he will mind, nice guy!

Not exactly sure as to when to start. I'm thinking the earliest is 5 to 6 months, just before they lay eggs. Preferably, during their 1st molt, at, about 1 year to 18 months depending on how much hot/wet weather you get, how often they range and/or 1st sighting in feces for sure.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Chirp.

When you are doing this worming, how long do you have to wait before you can eat the eggs?

I am a total newbie to chickens. Started my couple one year ago, so my chickens are about 15 months old.

Never noticed worms in poop, but never really stared at the poop when I scooped, for very long!

I'll see wiggly stuff, huh?

Oh gees, something else to worry about!

I only have 3 hens and they look fine but guess I'll look a little 'deeper' into the poop when I clean the pen tomorrow.

I do clean the pen thoroughly every 7 days, so hopefully NO worms or other weird stuff........

Jo
ep.gif

I have ivermeton for my horses. How do I worm my chickens with it? Please help! I have a 2 month old silkie I just got that had a worm come out of her butt about 30 minutes ago. She is acting as of she is going to die.

Back
Top Bottom