Chicken with Wry neck - currently treating - is there anything else I can do?

faithyea4

Chirping
Oct 11, 2020
Hi all,
I have a buff Orpington hen with wry neck. She’s under two years old and slowly it’s gotten worse, so I’ve isolated her from the other hens in a dog crate with water, food and I’ve been feeding her egg and sunflower seeds mixed together with vitamin E supplement.

Right now it is really bad - she’s constantly writhing and has lost weight since it began to get worse because the other chickens wouldn’t let her eat. I’ve noticed that it only becomes bad when the cockerel or the dog or I come near so I wonder if it could be related to stress?

She makes noises of pain a lot and it seems constant- I’m worried my help isn’t doing anything for her.

Any help, please?

I’ve been feeding her egg and sunflower seeds mixed together with vitamin E supplement.

I’ve noticed that it only becomes bad when the cockerel or the dog or I come near so I wonder if it could be related to stress?
It may be stress related.

Do you have an area that you can fence off to fence of so she's secure but can move about on her own, like a spare coop/run or pen. But where the cockerel can't come around, maybe keep the dog away as well? See how that goes.

I'd make sure she's getting 400IU Vitamin E daily along with some B1 (Thiamine), easiest way to do that is give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex. The egg and sunflower seeds are fine.
Keep her hydrated as well.

Back
Top Bottom