1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken yard Layout

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gld, May 23, 2011.

1. gld

gld New Egg

May 23, 2011
    Newbie question....I am interested in raising chickens in my backyard. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to build the coop so that the chickens are able to roam my garden freely. I would fence the perimeter of the garden so that they are confined to that area. My thinking is that I could get some fertilization and pesticide benefits from the free roaming chickens.

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Chickens will also feast on your veggie plants too though. I wouldn't recommend letting them range in the garden. Set up a compost pile for the manure so you can still reap that benefit!

And [​IMG]

3. gld

gld New Egg

May 23, 2011
    10-4..thanks. Like I said, I am new and still trying to figure this thing out.

4. imusa76

imusa76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Chickes LOVE Gardens, they will eat it up.. I use the Fence to Keep then out of the garden, flower beds (mine love Tulips and Roses)

I would do like "KBlue" said "Set up a compost pile for the manure so you can still reap that benefit!"

5. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    I've been reading that you can let them loose in your garden in the fall after you harvest, and again in the early spring to scratch the dirt all up and eat any weeds... but they will pretty much destroy a garden if you let them. I'm thinking about making a tractor for mine, and making it sized to fit between my raised beds and letting them go to town around the garden, eating bugs and slugs.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They are definitely great helpers in the garden -- after the harvest.

7. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by