Chickens and 1 duck?

3crazybears

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2021
I know ducks are hard to sex. We bought two baby ducks to go with our baby chicks and ended up with a boy and girl duck. I’m assuming we are unfortunately going to have to rehome one of the ducks. I know ducks are social animals. So here are my questions:
1) am I correct in assuming we need to get rid of one duck?
2) am I correct in assuming we should get rid of the male duck? (we have 7 pullets and one cockerel)
3) should we get another female duck or will she be ok with 8 chickens to run around with?
4) once the cockerel grows up will he be ok with the female ducks?
Thanks in advance!

Drake to hen ratio is recommended 1:4, but some drakes need more females than that. With that being said if he does not have enough females he may try to mate with the chickens. Drakes have a penis which roosters don't, so he can injury or potentially kill the chickens. The rooster can't hurt the female ducks if he tries to mate them.

You can either give the ducks separate living areas, or I would have only females if you want them to live with the chickens. I would recommend atleast 2, preferable 3 ducks total. If something ever happens to one, they have a friend still. Ducks are much happier with a duck friend.

I have chickens and ducks living together - I put babies of both breeds together and the seem to get along as they grow up and go their separate ways to be with their own kind. Drakes are truly horndogs, but if they have ducks to hang with they tend to leave the hens alone. In fact the hens normally feed first when I feed them greens or dried mealworms. Literally the ducks hold off while the hens eat. Usually the #1 hen polices this. I have 3 male ducks and each one has his little harem of girls to protect. I have been lucky I have 2 very gentle roosters. No drama. Ducks don't seem to fight like chickens. They lower their necks and point their heads while moving forward toward the offending party who gets it and walks away.

I know ducks are hard to sex. We bought two baby ducks to go with our baby chicks and ended up with a boy and girl duck. I’m assuming we are unfortunately going to have to rehome one of the ducks. I know ducks are social animals. So here are my questions:
1) am I correct in assuming we need to get rid of one duck?
2) am I correct in assuming we should get rid of the male duck? (we have 7 pullets and one cockerel)
3) should we get another female duck or will she be ok with 8 chickens to run around with?
4) once the cockerel grows up will he be ok with the female ducks?
Thanks in advance!
1 no not at all. I have 12, 10 ducks and 2 drakes in with 48hens and 8roosters with no issues

Back
Top Bottom