Chickens and Blueberries????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mandelaykay, Jul 30, 2011.

1. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    I had heard that chickens love BOSS so I bought a bunch for my flock of 4 silkies. They wont even look at them let alone try them. A few days a ago my husband and I noticed them eating wild blueberries off of the bushes in our back yard. They absolutely love them!!!! We went blueberry picking today and brought home 12 pounds of blueberries. Would it be ok to give them treats????

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Yep [​IMG] Mine love them [​IMG]

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I've given mine some blueberries. Some folks like to give their chickens frozen fruits in hot weather so you can freeze them and share them for a while.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Yes they love them but remember what goes in must come out....don't be surprised! LOL
    sharon

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    It takes a while for them to learn what is good and what isn't to eat. I had to have my older hens show the chicks that BOSS was good to eat. Otherwise they look at it like it's an alien.

Blueberries are fine, I would try to spread it out over a few days though. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  6. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:X2... you will have blue/purple poo all over the place! We get it from the chickens and from wild birds who eat off of our mulberry tree... it's EVERYWHERE! [​IMG] LOL

7. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Somewhere I missed this definition... BOSS???? Help? [​IMG]

Quote:

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I have to watch mine when I let them free range this time of year or they get in the blueberry patch and will strip the bushes bare of what they can reach. We have over 100 high bush blueberries and they will leave the upper berries alone--actually clean up the diseased/pest ridden fruit that falls to the ground.

9. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Black oil sunflower seeds is what BOSS is.... I just found out myself:) Ok so I can give them blueberries as a treat. What other things are safe and good for them to eat. My Silkie started becoming aggressive with me and hubby so I want to give them treats whenever they see me. + reinforcement. The blueberries are working but I dont want to over do it.

10. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    BOSS is black oil sunflower seed - often sold as wild bird food in Walmart, etc. My chickens love all fruits - especially mangoes (their run is under a mango tree), watermelon, and just about anything else I put out there! Also, I can only eat egg whites, so I give them the yolks back. But I learned that when microwaving the yolks, they always explode! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by