Chickens and dog have Giardia and have to share a yard ... what would you do?

EggMegg

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2021
I don't know which got it first, but the vet has confirmed and issued treatment for Giardia in the dog, and based on stool observations at least one of my 3 hens has it too (who are all currently being treated with metronidazole and a probiotic supplement). All 4 animals are forced to share space on my small-ish corner lot in a city, and the only yard I have is all front yard (so no real way of creating separation between areas). I have spent hours pooper scooping little chicken turds because the dog loves to gobble them up, but it seems quite impossible to get all of them, and turd-gobblin from sick chickens is a quick route to diarrhea town for the dog again. I don't want a cyclical problem on my hands, but I'm not quite sure what to do to keep all of these animals healthy in this situation.

What would you do? Any advice is appreciated!

And I'm also wondering how bad of news this is for the long-term safety of the lawn ... will the affected chicken poop saturate my soil with this bug indefinitely?

And does something like this slow down egg production? I was shorted an egg yesterday and 2 today which is very unusual for my prolific layers (ISA Browns).

Thanks chicken fam!

Back
Top Bottom