Chickens and pigeons?

Parkourpeep

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2015
I have a chicken coop which run is 8 feet tall,8 feet wide, and 10 feet long, I have a part of the run which is 8 feet wide, 8 feet long, but only 4 feet tall, so I doubt the pigeons will go under that, I have a coop that is 8' long 8' wide the roof is 7 feet tall to 5 feet, (the roof is slanted) and I was wondering if I could let the pigeons go in the coop at night if it gets too cold? I have 14 chickens 5 are hens, the rest are pullets and cockerels, but we plan on eating a hen and two pullets,so 11 chickens, I'm planning on two pigeons right now, since I'm new to this, anyone have pigeons they lift with their chickens, and if so any tips on housing? Thanks,

The chickens and pigeons will get along, there may
be a little pecking order sorting out.
Sounds like your coop and run set ups will work
for the pigeons so long as they have a perch that
is above the chickens. The perches i used were made
using 1"x 4" x 4" nailed together like a V and mounted
upside down on the coop wall.
What kind of pigeons are you getting? Do you plan on
letting them free fly (out of the run)

I'm planning on two pigeons right now, since I'm new to this, anyone have pigeons they lift with their chickens, and if so any tips on housing? Thanks,
I personally would not advise keeping pigeons and chickens together. The problem occurs when the pigeons begin feeding squabs. The chickens are likely to cannibalize any young squab at the first opportunity.

I'm not sure which kind I'm getting yet, still looking for a breeder in my area (Memphis, TN) and I will let them free fly after I keep them in for a while,

Chickens will kill and eat the pigeon squabs and eggs.

You can keep non breeding pigeons with chickens with no problem so long as the pigeons have plenty of high up perches and ledges to get out the way of the chickens

If you want to breed your pigeons you will either need to cage each pair up to let them raise their young.. or you will have to build them their own separate area where the chickens can not get to them.

I'm not sure which kind I'm getting yet, still looking for a breeder in my area (Memphis, TN) and I will let them free fly after I keep them in for a while,
Try to get young birds Squeakers are absolutely the best in any breed of pigeon you decide on. Stay away from adult homers or racers they will not begin to regard you loft as home until they have raised at least 3 batches of young there.
I had one cock bird that was back home to its original loft 100 miles away before super after being release at 1600hrs upon raising 3 batches go figure.
Basically there are two factors that cause a pigeon to return to their loft:

1) Food
2) Love for their mate

When you first release your birds I would do so when they are hungry take away their feed for at least 12 hours before release (It gives them added motivation to return to the loft.) When you begin racing your birds only have enough feed to satisfy half of the flock upon their arrival (this gets them down to business in a hurry)
Also it is a good practice to let the new birds view their surroundings from a wire aviary or cage from a good vantage point for a few days before releasing.
Try to get your birds used to a feed call when you enter the coop I would suggest a a tin can with pellets, feed or stones being shaken.
It is a good practice to feed your birds only twice a day for about 10 to 15 minutes if practical.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom