chickens and rain

20tundra

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 8, 2009
mississippi
It has been pouring rain and most of my chickens are all wondering around the run getting wet. 10 are outside and 4 are staying in. I didn't know if this was normal or not. Their food and water is inside the coop so I guess they must just get bored being inside and go wonder around in the rain.

Mine haven't got the sense to come in out of the rain either -- hasn't hurt them yet.

Think of it this way... are you uncomfortable in the shower? Me neither
smile.png
Those chickens are streaking naked in the rain and lovin' it.

Mine run around in the rain getting soaked all the time. They even manage to get soaked (I don't know how) inside thier covered yard. I think they do it on purpose. lol It is important that they have acess to a dry area in case they get too wet/cold.

New Orleans has had record rainfall of 25" so far in December, with more on the way for Christmas eve. My chickens don't mind the rain, but their run gets so very muddy. I have put down 5 bales of hay in the past 4 weeks, and 6 large bags of leaves to no avail.

It looks like they are making bricks for the pyramids.

hi mine don't seem to mind the rain at all but will not leave the coop to go in the run in the snow. they refuse to put their feet in the snow.
it was the funiest thing the other morning when i went to feed them in their shoveled run they just stared at me from the step and would not come out. they talked me into feeding them indoors when it snows.
anyone else have spoiled birdies like i do?

Not only do mine stand out in the rain, the last time we had a hailstorm, all 12 stood out in their run getting bonked on the heads! I considered going out with an umbrella to protect them, but then thought, hey, they don't seem to mind it, and maybe it will knock some sense into their little chicken heads!
lol.png

Mine ignore the covered portion of the run and go out and move around until they look like small, feathered fish. "Chickens hate getting wet," says the book we bought on chickens. Maybe. There are probably chickens that hate getting wet. Not mine.

The only thing that doesn't sound "normal" is 4 being inside and not in the mud
idunno.gif
Ours are sometimes so muddy we can't tell them apart then they get mad when we won't pick them up to cuddle..hmm I wonder why!
We have a boat upside down on blocks in the hens winter pasture(part of my lawn) and if it starts pouring you will look out and see all of these feet lined up under the boat

Back
Top Bottom