Chickens and toddlers

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AinaWGSD, Mar 19, 2011.

1. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I must say, my chickens are handling my toddler much better than I thought they would. They haven't had to deal with him all winter because he hasn't been outside much, and neither have they with all the snow we had. But now that the weather is nicer, he likes to go out in the yard and visit with the chickens. He chases them, grabs their tails, and tries to "hug" them by laying his head against them. Most of the time they just walk away, and my leghorn Celeste won't actually let him get close enough to touch him. But I think one of my EE, Merna, actually likes him. When he's grabbed hold of her tail and I've pried him off her, she wanders off but not far or fast enough to prevent him from grabbing her tail again. And this afternoon she actually squatted for him and let him pet her (he did a good job being gentle with her). A few minutes later, she was scratching for bugs and after observing her for a moment he tried "scratching" with his feet too. When he "scratched" too close to her (he very nearly stepped on her), she just looked at him with a mild look of disgust that said, "you're doing it all wrong!"

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    They probably think he is one big peep!

3. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Aww [​IMG] My kiddo runs after them saying "I'm not chasing you, I'm just trying to pick you up!"

4. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    My 2 YO is jealous that they are taking her stuff...first it was a stuffed animal then it was her kiddie pen and now they poop on her skateboard...I guess I shouldn't blame her when she takes a broom and chases them...it makes me made when my backyard isn't in harmony!

5. Avienda

Avienda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Sapulpa, OK
    hahaha, I'm really hoping my two year old does ok with them. He's good with the cats and dog and even learned not to tap on the glass of the lizard cage. I havn't gotten my chicks yet, but already have the brooder set up on a table so he can't get into it. This is going to be so much fun!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by