chickens are dying

comrack clucker

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
about 2 months ago we lost a year old hen. She started to look as if she was molting, then her comb slumped over, became pale and her eyes lost color. In the end she had a lot of thick saliva and then just died. She looked sick but sill ate and drank water? Then a few days ago a 2 year old hen became paralyzed and died after about 4 days. She looked fine except for not being able to hold herself up. She even laid an egg. Now I have a 3 year old hen who filled up her stomach 3 days ago with liquid to where when you picked her up liquid came out of her mouth, she was lethargic for 2 days but perked up a little, started to eat and drink a lot of water but is now wobbling as if she too is starting to become paralyzed? I don't know what is going on with my free range chickens? All were great egg layers too. I am thinking Mareks Disease? Anything I should do or can do for my sick hen and what can I do to save my remaining flock?

That sounds really awful, and I don't have a definitive answer for you, but the various symptoms make me wonder about the possibility of toxins.

You mention they free range, so is there any fertilizer, pesticide or herbicide in their environment that they could possibly have ingested? Moldy food?

I'm sure others will have more questions, or perhaps have experience the same thing.

Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom