Chickens are eating my goose eggs!!!

noahsgeese

Border Collie
10 Years
Nov 30, 2009
Virginia
Does anyone know why this is happening??? About everyday than the chickens all run over and eat the goose egg that my goose just laid that day!!

Thanks!

noahsgeese

Quote:
Egg eating is often a problem with chickens, and it is often hard to break the habit. Frankly back on the farm we would isolate suspects, set an egg down and the ones that ate it got sent to freezer camp:(

Quote:
Egg eating is often a problem with chickens, and it is often hard to break the habit. Frankly back on the farm we would isolate suspects, set an egg down and the ones that ate it got sent to freezer camp:(

I tried that with mine but they never would "take the bait" while i was watching.. After starting giving them the scrambled eggs they stopped.. But like people every chicken is different...

Quote:

I like your idea but I can not send my chickens to freezer camp because they are all pets!!!

Quote:

I like your idea but I can not send my chickens to freezer camp because they are all pets!!!

Yes you still can.

Those are some pretty tough chickens if they can crack the shell of a goose egg!
ep.gif

Last edited:
I can't believe they can bust a goose egg! I put goose eggs in my pens when I have a egg eater then trim ALL of there beaks back as far as I can without bleeding and let them hammer on the goose egg for a week or so. They usually stop. I have found it is not so much they are lacking, but if a egg is plopped out and doesn't harden or breaks etc. they eat it and then can't help themselves. You know how it is you go to get 2 chickens and come home with 10+

Back
Top Bottom