Chickens are gone!

Would there have to be multiple raccoons to take seven birds? Or could one do the deed on its own? šŸ¤”
Well, after watching Guardians of the Galaxy, Id say probably yes.
More serious, if they were trapped in a cage, yes, it could get in there and kill at will, but given it was an open door situation, it may get one or two, the rest would flee in panic.... or you'd hope they would at least. Ive seen chickens do some pretty intelligent things, immediately followed by a dumb as a stump move, so no guarantees.

Aaron

It could go either way. The lack of physical evidence is what makes me think human.
Would there have to be multiple raccoons to take seven birds? Or could one do the deed on its own? šŸ¤”
A fox or racoon can carry them away, also both racoon and a fox will eat birds feathers and all.
yes racoons can run in packs or family units also be singular. In groups helps them protect themselves also help looking for food.
Year ago last spring I was working in barn where also chickens are. Chicken were making a racket. I left the front door open. Went looked 6 racoons. I kept chick feed in garbage can. They had removed the lid and some inside the can eating. The little ones.

I look at the door and barrel lock on top and bottom as she explained. The top had wire window. A racoon could easily hold on to something like that with its paws like feet. Could a racoon figure that there was 2 locks on the door?

Watch the video I posted a racoon undoes a barrel lock like she has. Racoons also remember very well.

I am not saying racoon did this, who knows what happen

Where do you find these?
Most any hardware or home improvement store. I haven't had a predator yet open a gate with the spring latch hooks. Sometimes my old fingers don't work so well anymore and I have a little difficulty unlatching them but I also have them on my nest boxes which I access from outside of the coops.

:welcome :frow If you have a game camera put it up. Surely the predator will be back since it has killed to see if there is more. I love my cameras. I realize the cameras won't catch the predator except in a picture but then at least you'll know what you're dealing with. Good luck...
Exactly! Unfortunately for me the one night I lost all my chickens the camera had been knocked down. So make sure it's secured and canā€™t be moved around.

I actually do have some cameras mounted on PVC posts that I can move around.

Attachments

• DSCF00031125 02 - Copy.jpg
    DSCF00031125 02 - Copy.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF00031125 10.jpg
    DSCF00031125 10.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200129_114729.jpg
    IMG_20200129_114729.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200324_110633.jpg
    IMG_20200324_110633.jpg
    852.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200324_110744.jpg
    IMG_20200324_110744.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 6
i like the remote controlled rifle idea. Put a .22 on a tripod with internet access. You see a coon coming at your chickens, use the joystick to aim and POW, you got fresh coon AND eggs for the morning meal :D Just make sure it hasn't been eating trash too.

Aaron

I meant cameras that canā€™t be moved other than by people, wind, animals, birds, all those things may knock them down so you have to secure them.
The only one that has hit or broken any cameras is my hubby when he is mowing. We have several water hydrants around on the property. He has hit some of those too so now we have huge posts next to the hydrants. I figured the camera may be safe next to this hydrant's posts but he managed to clip it. I was able to fix it.
IMG_20200324_110633.jpg

Hello, im so sorry for what happened, :( But try looking around for them and the Predator that got them, there still could be hope that some may have ran. *And are still fine* Try scattering some food around and putting cameras up, just dont leave the food to long or more predators will get used to the fact the coop is basically a food heaven.

Back
Top Bottom