Chickens are gone!

Hello, im so sorry for what happened, :( But try looking around for them and the Predator that got them, there still could be hope that some may have ran. *And are still fine* Try scattering some food around and putting cameras up, just dont leave the food to long or more predators will get used to the fact the coop is basically a food heaven.
:welcome :frow

One thing I do with my birds I have certain things I say especially when I give them treats. They get used to my voice and special calls that they come running when they hear me.

Mine do the same thing, or at least I hoped it was only 'that' but I have since learned, and I TOTALLY BLAME THE COCKATOO!!!!

When they hear my truck pull up, they all come waiting by the door, OR if they hear the lid of the snack can snap off, they come running from the 4 corners of the earth! They learned that the truck means I am home and I will soon be out with snacks to check on them.

I know DEEP in my heart that the reason they come running is because they realize what a wondurfool stoopendus, awesome daddy I am and just absolutely adore me, and it isn't just because I bring food.......

ok ok, ill go take my meds now :)
Aaron

A fox will wipe out a whole flock of chickens if it has the time. They will take some to their den and will bury the other ones. I have found buried bodies all over after a big attack. Needless to say, the fox does not get a second go at my chickens.

Mine do the same thing, or at least I hoped it was only 'that' but I have since learned, and I TOTALLY BLAME THE COCKATOO!!!!

When they hear my truck pull up, they all come waiting by the door, OR if they hear the lid of the snack can snap off, they come running from the 4 corners of the earth! They learned that the truck means I am home and I will soon be out with snacks to check on them.

I know DEEP in my heart that the reason they come running is because they realize what a wondurfool stoopendus, awesome daddy I am and just absolutely adore me, and it isn't just because I bring food.......

ok ok, ill go take my meds now :)
Aaron
Where did the cockatoo come from? Lol, you are hilarious

.22, .410, or 20 gauge will do the trick as long as you’re not breaking any laws.

are you 100% sure it was a fox? I don’t think they take the carcasses. It seems like someone stole your chickens and killed the rooster. To find no trace of the bodies is very odd. Do you have a security or game camera on your property? I would prioritize that if you get new chickens.

Foxes will take the whole chicken and leave only feathers (sometime a pile, then a trail of feathers). They will usually only take one body at a time though and go back to their den to stash it before coming back for another. Though if it had time it could have taken several away.

Where did the cockatoo come from? Lol, you are hilarious
I've had the Rottentoo for 10 years now. I got him as a rescue. Ive been told we argue like an old married couple and you know it's bad when the bird can finish sentences for you. He's my best buddy and while we have some rough days, there are still a lot of great days where he is behaving or being mischevious, ill swat him with a pool noodle, he'll sneak up nip my toe and run off back to his cage laughing and Ill come running back at him swinging a hoo hoo from inside a paper towel roll yellin Im gonna BEAT you and he will run into the cage grab the cage door with his beak and slam it closed and laugh and squeal like a kid. He'll venture out and on top of the cage and Ill run up, grab his tail lift it straight in the air and smack his ass with the cardboard tube and he'll literally dance around the top of the cage shaking his wings with his crest up warbling and being a brat. After a while, a few hours, we both calm down and he will then just climb up, get in my lap or peferrably the crook of my arm and Ill pet him and he will spread his wings and preen and nuzzle under my arm or hand and just relax there for hours if I let him. Ive learned that you dont want to give him too much 'personal time' like that because he can get over demanding or bratty, especially when it's time to goto bed. So half hour to an hour tops on the heavy snuggle time for him.

Everyday is an adventure in avian land over here....

Aaron

I've had the Rottentoo for 10 years now. I got him as a rescue. Ive been told we argue like an old married couple and you know it's bad when the bird can finish sentences for you. He's my best buddy and while we have some rough days, there are still a lot of great days where he is behaving or being mischevious, ill swat him with a pool noodle, he'll sneak up nip my toe and run off back to his cage laughing and Ill come running back at him swinging a hoo hoo from inside a paper towel roll yellin Im gonna BEAT you and he will run into the cage grab the cage door with his beak and slam it closed and laugh and squeal like a kid. He'll venture out and on top of the cage and Ill run up, grab his tail lift it straight in the air and smack his ass with the cardboard tube and he'll literally dance around the top of the cage shaking his wings with his crest up warbling and being a brat. After a while, a few hours, we both calm down and he will then just climb up, get in my lap or peferrably the crook of my arm and Ill pet him and he will spread his wings and preen and nuzzle under my arm or hand and just relax there for hours if I let him. Ive learned that you dont want to give him too much 'personal time' like that because he can get over demanding or bratty, especially when it's time to goto bed. So half hour to an hour tops on the heavy snuggle time for him.

Everyday is an adventure in avian land over here....

Aaron
That is just adorable, sounds like you two have a pretty great relationship 😂

Back
Top Bottom