Chickens are hilarious! Who knew???

awal1

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Well..I guess most of you already know how funny they are to watch, but as first time chicken owners we are amazed at their personalities. We finally have them outside, and I need to post pics because my husband converted our kids old tree house into a coop (he calls it the aviary). He is very proud of the fact that he used scraps to piece it together Beverly hillbillies style.

We have 5 white silkies, 5 buff silkies, and 5 blue Cochins. Trying to teach the silkies to use the ladder up and down from the coop is interesting. I love watching the Cochins show off by going up and down a million times while the silkies struggle with it. They really seem to rub it in by climbing each step one by one, but then the next pass they may throw in a few tricks and short cuts. I have to say that after getting to know them all, the buff silkies seem to be the slowest to get things. They may be a little intellectually challenged, but I love them all.

Will the silkies ever learn how to use the ramp??

I'm a new chicken owner too and I'm definately having a grand ole time watching my 3day old chicks develop personalities! One of my little bantum chicks is so clumsy, the BF says he's the nerd of the group. hahaha. He's constantly falling over on his back and can't get back up. lol

the silkies will gradully get using the ladder/ramp. they just have to get used to it and once they watch the cochins for a while they willl be able too

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
Chicken watching is fabulous! We have spent many hours watching the antics of our flock. They always do something to amaze us. Our adult daughter has just left for home after her first visit with us since we got chickens. You can't believe how much grief we have been given from her over our "weird addiction"
sad.png
After 5 days here, she was planning to leave for home yesterday afternoon, but decided that she needed more time with the chickens and left this morning.
wee.gif
Too funny!

We have 6 two week old chicks, 4 of them think they are puppies, they now seem to expect me to pet their heads and down their backs, while stretching their necks up as high as they can, the other two are more shy, will let you touch them but don't come running for it.

Anyone have a similar story?

Quote:
Silkies actually have difficulty with things like ladders because their feathers don't work for things like balancing and flight; with all of those feathers around their heads they also have difficulty seeing. Many Silkies prefer to roost on the floor of their houses even if provided with very low perches, only three inches or so off the ground.

Although Cochins are a very relaxed breed, you still need to watch to make sure the Silkies aren't being bullied because they can't see an attack coming. Look for injured feet.

My seven newbie chicks are a hoot to watch. My other two groups never really responded strongly to tapping on the brooder floor while making the "tuk tuk tuk" food call. They'd come see what the fuss was about and to check out whatever I was tapping, but they didn't go crazy. These babies, on the other hand, go nuts for it. As soon as I start, all seven come rushing over and start crowding my hand trying to peck the exact spot I'm "pecking." I love baby chickies.
love.gif

You know, my birthday is next month. I should buy myself the mini-incubator I'm coveting as a "happy birthday to me" present. Then I could hatch baby chickies. Hmm...

Back
Top Bottom