Chickens are suddenly very very calm

jimfromliny

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2017
This is our first time with chickens. They are about 3.5 months old and have been rambunctious for the most part. When someone walks by, the make all kinds of noise, the presence of food has them raising a ruckus from hell, etc... Since yesterday, they seem to have been sedated. They walk about very calmly. The gold laced wyandotte is even mellow now. There has been no change in food or any other kind of surroundings. The only difference is our temperature went from mid 80s to low 70s every day and into the 50s at night.

Fresh food and water, they are paying almost no attention to the food and drank some water. For the most part they are all sitting close together although, that is normal for them. We have 9 in total. Not one is acting differently than any of the others. There has been no sign of aggression from any of them. This came up very suddenly and we have zero ideas as to what is happening or if it is even typical behavior with the fall season starting. Any help is greatly appreciated.

very rainy, thunderstorms for much of the last 5 or 6 days. They usually freak out when food is being given to them, the last two days, they barely moved. Outside today, they didn't really eat at all. Threw a bunch of pickings from the garden in there and most of it is still on the ground. The two wyandottes usually freak out if we get near them. One is crouched down on the ground and I can hold its beak, rub its head, and doesn't move a lick. Concerned they got some virus suddenly.
i would start treating for cocci, amprolium/amprol/corid etc
its a good place to start

very rainy, thunderstorms for much of the last 5 or 6 days. They usually freak out when food is being given to them, the last two days, they barely moved. Outside today, they didn't really eat at all. Threw a bunch of pickings from the garden in there and most of it is still on the ground. The two wyandottes usually freak out if we get near them. One is crouched down on the ground and I can hold its beak, rub its head, and doesn't move a lick. Concerned they got some virus suddenly.
That IS a sign of Coccidiosis.
I'd start the Corid asap.
When you start the treatment for Coccidisis do not give vitamins at the same time, save the vitamins for after the treatment is finished.

I'll throw out a guess based on my own experience. I've never noticed that quick and drastic of a change, but my chicks tend to go through an "insane" stage starting around 3-4 weeks. At some point they start acting like normal chickens - well, except maybe the Leghorns. ;)

Your chickens may just be settling down as they get closer to maturity. Keep an eye on them and watch for any signs in droppings or behavior that might indicate illness, though.

Ok, that is easy enough to do. I don't have Nutri-Drench, but can get Pedia-Lyte or Gatorade type of drink in the morning.

Appreciate all the insight and recommendations. It would be horrible to lose them.

I am ordering Amprolium now, but it will not be here until Monday. How aggressive is cocci, if it is that?
it depends on the strain they have, some can be very quick and kill within a couple days others are not as aggressive and they could fight it on their own and just be sluggish in moving about

as sated there are several different strains with different signs and they attack different areas on the intestines

chickencoccidiaandlesions.png

this shows the different strains of eimeria, and where eimeria attacks, cocci is one of many illnesses that caused by the eimeria

The main sign i have seen in my flock when they have cocci is sluggish behavior, lethargy in general, scruffed up looking feathers and abnormal poop

Amprolium will certainly NOT cause any harm it is a very mild treatment and is a great place to start when they are exhibiting some of these symptoms. Though like any treatment you dont want to use it too often because whatever you are fighting could build up an immunity to it.

Good Luck!! and let us know if anything else happens!

Hi @jimfromliny
How are your pullets today?
Do you have a vet - check with them to see if they have a Coccidiostat (Amprolium) or sometimes they be able to prescribe a suitable Sulfa drug that can be used to treat certain strains of Coccidiosis.

Do you have a pidgeon supply store nearby?

Most of them have more oomph it seems. Four of them are walking around and making noises which has not occurred in a couple of days. Only one of them really seems to have not had any improvement, not counting the one that died. I just got a hold of some Corid 9.6% oral solution and trying to figure out how much to give them in their water. Seems 1/2 tablespoon for 16 ounces is the recommended treatment.

How long does the Corid take to have an effect? It seems like it has a flavor to it. We put a 16 oz bottle with the Corid in it and it was 90% empty 20 minutes later.

Back
Top Bottom