Chickens are suddenly very very calm

i would start treating for cocci, amprolium/amprol/corid etc
its a good place to start
We also have just gotten 2 ameraucana a black and we think either a blue or lavender. they are both 2.5 months old ..could you post a picture of your blue /lavender chicken so we can decide which we have. Thanks

The lighter is one of my Lavenders and the darker is a blue. Although, blue comes in a lot of shades, one of which is lavender, I believe.

Attachments

• Amhen.jpg
    Amhen.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 4
  • blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 4
I was just looking on one of the sites regarding the cocci and they don't seem to have many of the symptoms they say to look for, other than some whitish diarrhea. I am getting the Amprulium anyway, but is there anything else I should get as a preventative?

What I would do is give them some scrambled eggs with some diluted Nutri-drench mixed in - maybe twice a day. You could also add electrolytes to their drinking water.

Ok, that is easy enough to do. I don't have Nutri-Drench, but can get Pedia-Lyte or Gatorade type of drink in the morning.

Appreciate all the insight and recommendations. It would be horrible to lose them.

very rainy, thunderstorms for much of the last 5 or 6 days. They usually freak out when food is being given to them, the last two days, they barely moved. Outside today, they didn't really eat at all. Threw a bunch of pickings from the garden in there and most of it is still on the ground. The two wyandottes usually freak out if we get near them. One is crouched down on the ground and I can hold its beak, rub its head, and doesn't move a lick. Concerned they got some virus suddenly.
That IS a sign of Coccidiosis.
I'd start the Corid asap.
When you start the treatment for Coccidisis do not give vitamins at the same time, save the vitamins for after the treatment is finished.

That IS a sign of Coccidiosis.
I'd start the Corid asap.
When you start the treatment for Coccidisis do not give vitamins at the same time, save the vitamins for after the treatment is finished.

The corid should be here Monday afternoon. They are much more like chickens this morning, albeit have longer quiet times than normal. They are standing up and eating. Yesterday, they were just crouched down on the ground and barely ate anything at all. This morning they attacked some radish and carrot tops.

I am ordering Amprolium now, but it will not be here until Monday. How aggressive is cocci, if it is that?
it depends on the strain they have, some can be very quick and kill within a couple days others are not as aggressive and they could fight it on their own and just be sluggish in moving about

as sated there are several different strains with different signs and they attack different areas on the intestines

chickencoccidiaandlesions.png

this shows the different strains of eimeria, and where eimeria attacks, cocci is one of many illnesses that caused by the eimeria

The main sign i have seen in my flock when they have cocci is sluggish behavior, lethargy in general, scruffed up looking feathers and abnormal poop

Amprolium will certainly NOT cause any harm it is a very mild treatment and is a great place to start when they are exhibiting some of these symptoms. Though like any treatment you dont want to use it too often because whatever you are fighting could build up an immunity to it.

Good Luck!! and let us know if anything else happens!

I would also get a bottle of poultry Nutri drench or goat Nutri drench.make sure if you buy the goat you're using the poultry instructions. I would add it to their water if you're not medicating their water .or I'll give them some to them directly. it's a good nutritional supplement .it does not need to be digested if their intestines are inflamed. and it will give them some energy to go ahead and deal with whatever is stressing them.
here's the website:
www.nutridrench.com
Karen

They seemed to be doing well earlier and I just checked on them and one died. The others are looking horrible again. There is nothing in my area at all. We have to buy the stuff online. My wife is hysterical.

They seemed to be doing well earlier and I just checked on them and one died. The others are looking horrible again. There is nothing in my area at all. We have to buy the stuff online. My wife is hysterical.
:hugs i am so sorry!
where are you located? you dont have to say if you dont want, but depending i may be able to help you a bit more with what to give

Back
Top Bottom