Chickens attacked by raccoon (I think)

hperry

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 9, 2014
Hi guys,

Last night we made a huge mistake and forgot to shut the coop. A raccoon got in ( I suspect it was a raccoon because he left a handprint on the wall) and killed three of my chickens. One of the living chickens is now limping and laying down much of the time. Her eyelid is also injured. We have separated her and put her into a dog cage inside to hopefully avoid further injury. Does anyone have advice as to what I can do for her?

Also, is this predator something I should worry about during the day when they are out in the run? They have an enclosed run attached to the coop and I assume the coon got in through there somehow.

Thank you for your help!
Hannah

Check her really good to see if there are any visible wounds..if so, clean them up and apply Vetericyn Spray on them. It's good you have isolated her...I'm sure she is stressed beyond belief, but try not to keep her isolated too long...she would be better off still in the crate but with the others in the coop/run so she doesn't feel totally alone. Best of luck and keep us updated!

Thank you so much for the advice. What should be done with her at night if I leave her in the run during the day? Would it be okay for her to go to the coop or stay in the crate?

Because the problem is the coop is not big enough for the crate also.

In that case I'd keep her in the house tonight, but tomorrow put her in the coop area so she isn't alone. Make sure she has water/feed...keep us updated!!

Hi again!

I have my hurt chicken inside a dog crate inside the coop with food an water. She is still favoring the leg. We tried to let her out of the cage but her eye lid is sliced and the other chickens peck at it.

Any more advice? Thank you!
Hannah

Back
Top Bottom