Chickens by Easter .... Maybe

Pics
Started the day off with two stray dogs sniffing around the coop this morning. They didn't try to break in but they knew the girls were in there just the same. I was about half way to the coop with the 12ga when they noticed me and took off.

Other than air attacks, dogs are going to be my biggest daytime predators I'm thinking so a hot wire around the run will be a necessity.

Added 7.75 sq ft of ventilation and natural light to the coop and finished putting all the vinyl siding back up. The new window really brightened up the interior of the coop and I think it even dropped the inside temp. by a degree or two. Defiantly added to the cross ventilation.

Need to hang the people gate in the run and make a hardware cloth covered door into the coop so we can leave the solid door open during the day and I will be finished ... hope I didn't say that too soon.

C2BAE85B-86DE-41B6-BC53-728B1533618E.jpeg

Question ..... why do these chicks fight for the chicken scratch when I offer it to them. They go nuts over it. I mean, do they taste it or something? Considering that they don't chew their food, what is the driving force that makes them fight over it? They don't fight or get overly excited about their crumbles. Of course it is always out, but still.

Question ..... why do these chicks fight for the chicken scratch when I offer it to them. They go nuts over it. I mean, do they taste it or something? Considering that they don't chew their food, what is the driving force that makes them fight over it? They don't fight or get overly excited about their crumbles. Of course it is always out, but still.
Scratch is tasty, that's why chickens love it. And yes they can taste things, maybe not the same as a human, but they definitely have preferences in feed and in treats.

Today is the day .... the girls get to see their run for the first time this evening. That is unless it rains, more, or something of that nature.

The top of the run is temporary. I think. As tacky as it is, it will stay this way until lumber prices come down anyway. But, if it holds up well it might be permanent too. :confused:

A little supervised time for a few days until we see if they find a way out of it and I get the hot wire up and working.

4B6770C6-7AFD-47D6-BE27-F230FBFD07BB.jpeg

What's with the wood deck on the ground?
That wood could be much better used as a run roof, or something else.
My first thought is that it would be great place for 'things' to live under there.

Back
Top Bottom