Chickens by Easter .... Maybe

Question .... wife witnessed one of the chickens eat a feather. Said it was about 4 or 5 inches long and it looked like the bird ate it intentionally. Is this something we should worry about, a sign of some nutrient they my be lacking, or just a chicken thing?

Question .... wife witnessed one of the chickens eat a feather. Said it was about 4 or 5 inches long and it looked like the bird ate it intentionally. Is this something we should worry about, a sign of some nutrient they my be lacking, or just a chicken thing?

They do that sometimes.

It's fine, as long as it doesn't turn into a habit. That, especially if it includes pulling each others' feathers out to eat them, can indicate either boredom or a protein deficiency.

They do that sometimes.

It's fine, as long as it doesn't turn into a habit. That, especially if it includes pulling each others' feathers out to eat them, can indicate either boredom or a protein deficiency.
x2. If they pick up a few feathers off the ground and eat them, it's not a problem. Different than feather picking, that's for sure.

I must be getting flaky ... I have seen information on installing standard HN's on schd. 40 PVC but I can't find it now.

Does anyone know the size of pipe tap and the tap drill size that will allow a HN to screw into schd 40 pvc water pipe?

Function won out over form this time. When I left they were still sneaking up on them and snatching out bits of straw. They have four weeks to figure out what they are for.

DFD057A2-A146-40BA-A286-3F7B6145958B.jpeg

Last edited:
While scooping the poop boards this morning I found what looks like a coccidiosis poop. I knew things were moving along too smoothly but, I also knew it was just a matter of time before something would happen.

After doing some research and watching the birds I discovered that only one of them is showing any symptoms of coccidiosis. She is standoffish, slow moving, and not much interested in what is going on around her. This was especially evident when she watched the other birds fight over the scratch and didn't participate herself.

From what I learned in my research, I will start the Corid treatment in the morning for all ten birds.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom