Chickens Combs Disappeared!?

LosPollosHermanos

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2021
Hello everyone!

I ran into an issue this summer where my chickens slowly began to lay less eggs (over course of maybe two months. We thought it was them molting, or the heat so we thought maybe they would start laying as usual. However, the problem was never solved (we boosted up their protein intake buying special food and everything.) We now observe most of the chickens (6) - their combs have disappeared! The couple that have combs aren't looking to healthy, their combs are small and withering. They are not scratching, or seem to have a flu, so not sure how to treat my chickens. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Check for worms, mites and other parasites.

It is possible that you have some toxin in the area? Are the behaving normally-- not staggering for example?

What is your location? Do you see any sneezing, watery or bubbly eyes, nasal drainage or gasping? Many hens will get smaller pale combs during periods of not laying, during molting, or shortened daylight hours. Pictures can be helpful.

I was also going to ask why part of the world you are in. Towards the end of summer and through fall as daylight hours get shorter it’s normal for combs to shrink and laying to decrease or even stop entirely. As daylight get longer again laying should pick up again. Every bird is different. I currently am only getting eggs from 4 out of 10 layers and it’s irregular and most of my flock hasn’t begun spring laying yet.

The bigger thing to look at is if other than lack of laying, how are they acting? If they are scratching around as normal and eating and drinking as normal, as well as normal poop, all is likely fine. Are there any other troublesome symptoms? Are they lethargic? Puffed up? Anything else at all?

I live in NY, but this problem began in the summer of 2020. I would doubt it was daylight that caused the issue. We havn't had a single egg in months. The strangest part is they show no signs of illness or disease. Their food intake is normal, their poop is regular, they seem to all be having a good ol time in the coop. No signs of scratching, no watery eyes or nose drainage. I don't believe there to be a toxin in the area, however, I'm unsure. How would I check for worms or mites... I have no done so yet. Also, I will upload a pic of the flock in a bit.

Considering the time the combs disappeared I’m ruling out daylight as a cause of combs disappearing. The only reasons left for combs dissappering is illness? Could it be anything else?

Considering the time the combs disappeared I’m ruling out daylight as a cause of combs disappearing. The only reasons left for combs dissappering is illness? Could it be anything else?
If they molt and stop laying eggs, the combs will turn pale and get smaller.

The can happen all winter long when they stop for the season too.

Back
Top Bottom