Chickens crammed in coop doorway!!

I have 8 7 week old wyandotte and the moved to the coop at 4 week and able to go out since then. they wont quit sleeping in the doorway. They only go in when I go out to close there door. I've been out there at dusk and I've been out when its pitch black and same thing in the doorway.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated so much.

Thank you

I have 8 7 week old wyandotte and the moved to the coop at 4 week and able to go out since then. they wont quit sleeping in the doorway. They only go in when I go out to close there door. I've been out there at dusk and I've been out when its pitch black and same thing in the doorway.

Thank you
Can you post pictures of your coop?

Thank you
Also...what's your weather like right now?

Not sure how to post pictures I'm new to the byc
Click this:
Screenshot_20200715-184136~2.png

Is it bright enough for them to see inside at dusk without artificial lighting?

Is that window above the pop door the only ventilation, or is there other ventilation around the roost area that we're not seeing?

Generally high heat, lack of light, ventilation, and/or space is what causes chickens to not want to go inside. Your temps aren't that hot, and space looks pretty good, so I'd look at the other 2.

We are having the same problem... 2 of the 4 girls don't get into the coop before our automatic door closes. Should I put in a motion light to help? It's getting so cold here. They are about 8 months old and have been moved to a new coop a couple of weeks ago...

As a side note, y'all mention the roost being a 2x4.
Make sure they are able to sit on the 4" side and round the rough edges. This will help to keep their feet from frostbite and help them stay warm.
Ventilation is a HUGE #1 coop requirement.
Your coop can be as cute as a cupcake but without Ventilation and light, no one will want to go inside.
Keep up the good work.
Make the chickens Happy.
Make it so, they want to go inside. Nobody wants to go into a dark lil place without Ventilation for fresh air and no place to warm their feet.
Good luck! And Welcome to this wonderful site of BYC.

Back
Top Bottom