Chickens crammed in coop doorway!!

Breanne212

Hatching
Jan 5, 2017
I have 12 week old Buff Orpington pullets. Ever since I introduced my 4 girls to their outdoor coop/run 3 weeks ago, at night they all huddle together and cram themselves in their small doorway to the coop. Half their bodies inside, half outside. I've even found one on top of the others trying to be positioned in the doorway as well. There is clearly not enough space for them there, yet when it's time to head in for the night, they always stop in the doorway, and they stay there until I force them into the coop so that I can close it off.

Has anyone experienced this with their flock before, or perhaps have any insight as to why they're doing it? They seem content being there, but I just find it odd.

Thanks in advance!
1f62c.png

I thought I would update, since you were kind enough to give some great advice. I purchased a small motion sensing light and installed it today. It's inside the coop and positioned so it will turn on when the chickens come near the pop door. It worked like a charm! When I went to shut them in for the night, they were all completely inside the coop, 3 of them were already roosting. The other was laying on the coop floor. (Is it normal for one to prefer sleeping this way, btw?) Anyway, we blocked off the nesting boxes as well. All in all, I consider today a HUGE success. As for more ventilation? We will tackle that next.
263a.png
Thanks again!

I have 8 7 week old wyandotte and the moved to the coop at 4 week and able to go out since then. they wont quit sleeping in the doorway. They only go in when I go out to close there door. I've been out there at dusk and I've been out when its pitch black and same thing in the doorway.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated so much.

Thank you
Also...what's your weather like right now?

Welcome to BYC.
This sort of thing is common with birds being newly transitioned to the coop from the brooder -- these birds tend to not have grasped the concept of when to head in for bed and wait until the last possible bit of daylight, as a result the coop interior is fairly well dark when they head in and instead of having time (and light) to get themselves settled in a comfy, appropriate spot for the night they cling to the one last bit of any sort of light.....and that is in the doorway.
There are a few approaches you can take. One is simply wait and let them grow out of this phase over the next couple of weeks as they become more settled into the new routine and get the hang of going to roost as dusk starts to fall. Another option is to increase the light available in the coop to draw them away from the door and further into the coop -- a photo or two of the coop you have will help in offering just how to do this. A third option is to go out as dusk starts to fall and physically move the birds into the coop and closing the door so that they settle in IN the coop and are not able to crowd in the doorway - this is a lot of work and, depending on the approach you take in doing it, can just prolong the process of them learning the routine.

I thought I would update, since you were kind enough to give some great advice. I purchased a small motion sensing light and installed it today. It's inside the coop and positioned so it will turn on when the chickens come near the pop door. It worked like a charm! When I went to shut them in for the night, they were all completely inside the coop, 3 of them were already roosting. The other was laying on the coop floor. (Is it normal for one to prefer sleeping this way, btw?) Anyway, we blocked off the nesting boxes as well. All in all, I consider today a HUGE success. As for more ventilation? We will tackle that next.
263a.png
Thanks again!
It can be...... when there is not enough space for them all on the roost.

I have 8 7 week old wyandotte and the moved to the coop at 4 week and able to go out since then. they wont quit sleeping in the doorway. They only go in when I go out to close there door. I've been out there at dusk and I've been out when its pitch black and same thing in the doorway.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated so much.

Thank you
Can you post pictures of your coop?

Is it bright enough for them to see inside at dusk without artificial lighting?

Is that window above the pop door the only ventilation, or is there other ventilation around the roost area that we're not seeing?

Generally high heat, lack of light, ventilation, and/or space is what causes chickens to not want to go inside. Your temps aren't that hot, and space looks pretty good, so I'd look at the other 2.

Back
Top Bottom