Chickens crops

redlink

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 7, 2014
I have a question. Tonight when I was putting the girls up for the night I noticed a couple of them had pretty full crops. The crops were very soft. Is there a problem that I should be concerned about?

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

It is normal for chickens' crops to be really full at night. Before it gets dark, they "pack" themselves so that they can continue to digest feed throughout the night, during which time they don't actively eat anything. I would be sure to check your hens' crops in the morning, though, to make sure they have gone down in size. Otherwise they could have sour or impacted crop.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We're all here to help.
smile.png

Thank you. I've never seen their crops so full before . I guess they pigged out right before I put them up

Sometimes they do that. It also could be a lot of water she drank. One of mine ate a frog whole once and her crop kept jumping. I thought it was hiccups...then I realized what is was....gross.

Just check them in the morning - you will likely find that they have digested overnight and the crops are now empty -- only if you do not find this is there any reason to think about being concerned.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

This is exactly as they should be....full at roosting time and empty in the morning. Some birds will drink a lot of water at roosting time and the crop will seem really soft. Some birds don't drink as much and the crops will feel more firm. But they should be full at roosting time. That is what the crop is designed for...to hold food and digest over the next several hours. I like to check all crops first thing each morning before they eat or drink to make sure they have all emptied. If they have not, then there could be a problem. And going to roost with nothing in the crop can also be an issue as well.

Enjoy your birds and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yay for your birds! That is the way it's supposed to be! Their crops are supposed to be bulging and and maybe a little squishy at roosting time. In the morning you shouldn't even be able to feel a crop. Your chickens are eating and drinking well if they have full crops. Even around late afternoon you may notice your chicken's crop bulging, this is also normal. You should be concerned if the crops are still full in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom