Chickens do more good than harm in a garden?

JeffandLori

Songster
Jul 18, 2020
S. Florida
Being in Zone 10, our main growing season is coming to an end. I have a section that has corn, bean and melons that will likely be done in about a month. I may plant a cover crop or I may just mow it all off and cover it with wood chips.

Another option is to allow the chickens in there after I mow it to root around, stir things up, etc. I likely won't plant this again until October, so they could easily roam this area until August/September.

Here's the question: It's about 30x30. I'll have about a dozen or so birds on it, so in a few weeks it will be all rooted up, soil turned with the clippings of the vines and corn stalks, a goodly amount of poop in it, etc. After it sits another couple of months, it could make for some easy planting.

There also won't be a bug or worm anywhere to be found. I'm reading a lot about "soil ecology", beneficial insects, etc. Do you think they'd take all the good stuff as well? Such as worms and whatnot?

I would do this if I could. Your soil would be fertilized, turned, and lots of bad bugs would be gone. The chickens would also get rid of weeds and their roots. You'd be starting your next garden way ahead on pest plant/bug maintenance.

I think it would be worth losing some beneficial bugs/earthworms in the bargain. Then again, you chickens might not like worms, or the worms may dig deep enough to escape.

I think you chickens would love this set up.

I agree mine LOVE grubs (bad bugs). worms can and will go deep down in summer heat, they can really move quick. ( we have an inside worm farm) I'm always amazed how fast they can migrate placrs. Worms are a lot like chickens in what they eat.
For me the chicken tilling and poop would be well worth it. Plus they'd probably eat less chicken feed.

Of course they will dine on the worms they uncover. More importantly, they will stir things up and clean up any bug larvae. They will help shred the leftover organic material to speed up decomposition and clean up any weed seeds saving $$ on feed. Win, win

I'm reading a lot about "soil ecology", beneficial insects, etc. Do you think they'd take all the good stuff as well? Such as worms and whatnot?
My chickens have had access to the whole garden for 7 years now, and every year there are more insects, not fewer, more wild flowers, not fewer, and more fungi, not fewer.

I think their foraging behaviour and manure makes the soil healthier, so more minibugs and microlife finds the garden an attractive place to live. Not overstocking is the key, so that the chickens eat some and leave some to reproduce.

Back
Top Bottom