1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens eat Alot!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hannahwren, May 19, 2012.

1. hannahwren

hannahwren Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    I give them a mix of Fancy Scratch and Egg Laying pellets (cant remember the name) and the are let out of the coop 3-6 hours a day. . . . . Is there something better to feed them? Today, when looking over a few, for other reasons. . . . ugh. . . .they are Very thin. I am headed back to the feed store, so any ideas on a better feed ?????

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    How old are they? If they are adults, all they need is layer feed. Leave out the scratch - except as an occasional treat. I throw mine a handful once every few days when I think about it.

If they are thin, you might look into parasites. Perhaps they have worms or lice that are keeping them from putting on weight.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Adult laying hens are much lighter than most folks think. We have the picture of a supermarket bird in mind, then we feel that breast bone on front and think our birds are too light. I'd weigh them and see how much they weigh. They might be right where they should be, your expectations might be off.

4. hannahwren

hannahwren Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Thank you both, I am treating for mites now, and I am going to worm, just cause. . . . .I will finish off the mix I have, then switch to just laying feed. They are all adults, I thought I was the best chicken Momma ever. . . . but I am not. Thank you for all your feed back. It is always so helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by