Chickens eating styrofoam...

Most of the time, this insulation passes through and gets pooped out, usually within 24 hours. I would not leave things up to chance, though. Give her a couple of teaspoons of coconut oil to "grease the works". It can coat the insulation and help it move more smoothly through the gizzard and intestines.

Just as a note for your education on responses to scary things your chickens might eat, if you see a chicken swallow something sharp like glass or a metal screw or a staple, immediately give raw egg white, even if you need to syringe it into the chicken. This will help the sharp object slip through with the least chance of perforating the tissues.
Thank you so much!!

Most of the time, this insulation passes through and gets pooped out, usually within 24 hours. I would not leave things up to chance, though. Give her a couple of teaspoons of coconut oil to "grease the works". It can coat the insulation and help it move more smoothly through the gizzard and intestines.

Just as a note for your education on responses to scary things your chickens might eat, if you see a chicken swallow something sharp like glass or a metal screw or a staple, immediately give raw egg white, even if you need to syringe it into the chicken. This will help the sharp object slip through with the least chance of perforating the tissues.

Can I give her the beef fat cake? we have some lying around. Or the bird suet ?

Yes, most of us with chickens have discovered them eating styrofoam, silicone caulk, and one time I had a hen snatch a bandaid off the back of my leg and swallow it. It appears they can do this with no ill effects.

However, do keep a watchful eye out for any chicken behaving "off", slowing down, not wanting to eat but wanting to drink copious amounts of water. This could indicate a clogged digestive system. If that happens, give a teaspoon of oil and massage the crop.

But I don't think you'll see any ill effects from this ill advised culinary impetuosity.
Mine ate a piece of towel once… a prett big one and she’s great🤣 .

Back
Top Bottom