Chickens everywhere!

I would start trapping them and taking them to the pound or something. I agree that it’s really annoying and that neighbor should be the one going to freezer camp, imo, but it’s sad to kill the chickens just because their owner is horrible. Poor things.

You could probably keep them yourself without issue (despite it being illegal) since apparently your local authorities have no interest in doing their jobs. You might find that you love it. Chickens are wonderful. Cute, beautiful, entertaining, sweet things.

Welcome to BYC! I'm so sorry you have to go through all this. Please know that the overwhelming majority of us chicken keepers here are responsible caretakers of our wee ones. Since your neighbors seem to lean on the side that laws don't apply to them, I would take the pictures and go through your city offices and find out who will actually enforce the ordinances. Everyone has a boss, so keep going up the "ladder" until someone listens to you and takes action. Also, make it clear to them that you are concerned about retaliation from these negligent neighbors. If that doesn't work, go to your area television stations. Many local news stations have a "problem solving" team to assist local citizens. Best of luck with this.

Turn them in to whatever authority enforces the code. It doesn't sound like it's the police or AC. Have you called your city clerk to ask them who enforces that ordinance?
I've talked to city, they want me to talk to Animal Control. Animal Control said it's a 4H project. 4H said they're not supposed to have them in city limits, and that goes against their contract.
Police say it's a civil matter.
I'm at my wits end.

I've talked to city, they want me to talk to Animal Control. Animal Control said it's a 4H project. 4H said they're not supposed to have them in city limits, and that goes against their contract.
Police say it's a civil matter.
I'm at my wits end.
Call your local TV station. If there is an ordinance against the chickens within your city limits and no one is enforcing it, go public with it

Animal Control said it's a 4H project.
And where did they get that idea? And how does that change the fact that it is illegal to have chickens AT ALL? Nevermind the fact that 4H is NOT an enforcement arm of the town.

I'd go to the zoning administrator and ask who is supposed to enforce the law. What sort of animals are allowed is, to my knowledge, a zoning issue so the buck stops in their office. If they tell you A, B or C is supposed to enforce it and those people have already given you the runaround, tell them that. If they don't step up and light a fire under that department, go to the town manager or mayor. Tell them that THEIR employees are not upholding the law.

Call your local TV station. If there is an ordinance against the chickens within your city limits and no one is enforcing it, go public with it

Yup. Does your local station have an investigative team? Like "4 Wants to Know?" or something like that? There is an ELECTION year coming up, you know! Write to your Congressman or Representative. Send a copy to all your branches of local government who should be doing something and aren't. Document all that you have done or tried to do so far, and document your injuries and fears. But try to keep it concise, tell them what you told us when you first came here. Include dates if you can. And from here on out, document everything. Keep a journal. Take pictures, of the mess, and of the chickens when they are on your property. We'll just see about this!

Hmmmm. I'm completely and totally against animal rights activists and organizations, especially the rabid/militant type. But as long as they exist, you might as well get them to do something useful, lol. Those kinds of folks will definitely do something about it!!!

These poor neglected chickens, without proper housing, running around scrambling for food because they were starved, and possibly abandoned. Just left to fend for themselves in dangerous conditions. Such a travesty. They need rescuing, now, and neglect charges brought against the owner!! You get the idea.....

Hmmmm. I'm completely and totally against animal rights activists and organizations, especially the rabid/militant type. But as long as they exist, you might as well get them to do something useful, lol. Those kinds of folks will definitely do something about it!!!

These poor neglected chickens, without proper housing, running around scrambling for food because they were starved, and possibly abandoned. Just left to fend for themselves in dangerous conditions. Such a travesty. They need rescuing, now, and neglect charges brought against the owner!! You get the idea.....
You're not far from the truth!!
The "coop" will fit 2 hens, semi-comfortably. There is 23 hens and 2 roosters total. If I knew who to call, I would.

Attachments

• 15628824043882837796927721903472.jpg
    15628824043882837796927721903472.jpg
    814.9 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom