Chickens exposed to wild birds

jmac11

Chirping
Apr 2, 2023
Oklahoma
My chickens have a 120 sq ft metal covered run, and we are adding a 300 sq ft open run. It will have 1 inch wire on sides and across the top. The open run is under a ginormous hackberry tree that is frequented by cardinals and other local birds. Do I need to be concerned about disease due to exposure from wild bird?

Risks would be for parasites like bird mites or diseases like avian flu (no you cannot vaccinate against that). Migrating waterfowl are the main culprits in spreading it. I don't know what avian flu activity looks like in your area, but you might want to check if your state's agricultural department has that information online.

Do I need to be concerned about disease due to exposure from wild bird?
There is a risk of your kids bringing home a parasite or disease from school or you could yourself the next time you go to church or the post office. Have your kids ever brought home a case of head lice from school? Not pleasant. My brother and his wife missed church including a couple of mid-week events recently when there was an outbreak but have started going back.

There is a risk that your chickens could pick up something from a wild bird. I don't know how much you should worry about that. How risk adverse are you? How devastated would you be if you lost a bird or your flock? Those are personal things. You might try calling your county extension office on Monday to see if they can tell you anything about what risks are active in your area.

Almost impossible to stop wild birds coming into contact with the chickens unless the chickens are in a fully enclosed coop and run. What one should try to avoid if practicable is the wild birds feeding and drinking from the same sources as the chickens. I don't bother, it just isn't realistic when ranging or free ranging but it is a wise precaution.

The more low level exposure the chicken get to pathogens the better their immune system copes. The big problems come for example when chicks have been hatched and reared in isolation broody coops/houses/garages whatever and are then let out onto natural ground. The most obvious case is coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom