Chickens exposed to wild birds

Almost impossible to stop wild birds coming into contact with the chickens unless the chickens are in a fully enclosed coop and run. What one should try to avoid if practicable is the wild birds feeding and drinking from the same sources as the chickens. I don't bother, it just isn't realistic when ranging or free ranging but it is a wise precaution.

The more low level exposure the chicken get to pathogens the better their immune system copes. The big problems come for example when chicks have been hatched and reared in isolation broody coops/houses/garages whatever and are then let out onto natural ground. The most obvious case is coccidiosis.
Exactly, my first group was protected, kept in my sick room( dog, cat, foal whatever) until almost 3 months old..they end up with coccidia as i have seen it in other species etc.. my next groupi started taking outside at a couple weeks old for a few hours ( it was dec 1 when i got them) the next group went out at a week, and pretty much non broody hatched are outside on the ground within 3 days.. and yes they have a heat source..

I read everything i could find but more importantly read everything i could find on here from the long term free rangers on byc..

My birds are healthy, big etc..we have aguy acrossthe street that raises cattle and game birds..his birds are not vaccinated..roosters are in rooster huts but his hens and biddies run loose exposed like mine to everything..he looses very few birds despite free ranging in his cow pastures ( we have coyotes bobcats and all the normal predators especially ariel..

I still feed the songbirds and doves that i have feed for years they still clean up horse feed and after the chickens too..i do keep their foodhigh and in the upper part of my dog kennel.. so they are not going into the protected( back porch) area where the birds eat or drink.. although literally my birds will drink out of the standing water/mud puddles etc rather than crystal clear fresh cool water

I'm kind of glad we aren't in a wetland area where wild birds migrate en masse, but they're still everywhere and hard to avoid. The one thing I'm diligent about is not leaving my feeders out where they'll be attractive to wild birds and I only throw scratch out in amounts I know will be cleaned up quickly.

I do worry about AI, and last year our flock was inside over half the year. Right now they are free ranging, and so far okay.
Our biggest problem has been the mites introduced by wild songbirds entering the open coop when we free range. Permethrin spray is always available when we need it!
Worst case is AI, and losing the entire flock.
Mary

The other issue from wild songbirds in Mycoplasma gallisepticum, which kills some songbirds in a few days, but will be a very bad thing for your chickens to acquire.
We feed the songbirds in places unavailable to the flock. Twice in 30+ years I saw an obviously sick sparrow at a feeder. Both times that sparrow died very soon, all the feeders came in and were bleached, the flock was locked in for three weeks, and the neighbors, when informed, also pulled their wild bird feeders in.
Very fortunately, our flock wasn't infected either time.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom