Chickens eye is swollen shut

Bobby65

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 22, 2012
Sw ranches fl
Two of my twelve week old chicks have been a little off kinda of sluggish and now one has its eye closed and a little swollen and the other chick has both eyes starting to do the same thing I'm new and not sure what this is. Poop is runny and looks lite brown not sure if its blood.
Any help is great thanks

One of my grandsons Japanese had this last Spring. I tried washing the eye, etc., but no improvement was made until I started her on antibiotics - chlortetracycline. Improved right away, gone in about 3 days.

Hello Bobby65, My little jack started with one eye being closed and fluid leaking out. Took him to the vet and he was put on antibiotic. After a week, it hadn't improved and the right eye started to closes with the fluid (pus) leaking out. So when he went back after the first week of being on the first medicine and he was getting worse, the vet realized it was Mycoplasma infection so he was started on a new antibiotic and it has made a world of a difference. Good luck.

May be a respiratory disease. Tylan 50 is good either by mouth or in shot form--1/4 ml. by mouth for5-7 days or as a shot for 3 days. Duramycin10 can also be used in water, but they need to be drinking enough to get the meds.

Back
Top Bottom