Chickens eyes won't open.

Mindy Decker

Chirping
Sep 15, 2020
I have a couple Rhode Island reds this morning that would not come out of the coop. One of them will not open her eyes at all and the other will just peek half way. We just got 4 new chickens on Saturday (Rex Rangers) that seem very healthy, but I'm hoping they didn't bring bad stuff into my coop. Yesterday I noticed on one of my chickens I've had for a few months (Wyandotte) that she had spots on her. I do not know what going on in my yard, but it is a little alarming.

Attachments

• 20200923_093524.jpg
    20200923_093524.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200923_093521.jpg
    20200923_093521.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200923_093452.jpg
    20200923_093452.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 5
Unfortunately, the first 2 pictures look like a possible respiratory disease, especially the second with the watery swlooen eye and the nasal secretions. The third looks like there is some pecking wounds or injury. When adding new flock members, it is always a good idea to quarantine new birds for a month, to watch for any symptoms of disease. Some may be carriers without any symptoms, but can still spread a disease from another flock. The common respiratory diseases are mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, infectious bronchitis, ILT, and coryza. You can read about those disease symptoms here:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Antibiotics such as Tylosin for pigeons available online or some others, may be helpful in bacterial diseases MG and coryza, but viruses will not be helped.

Thank you so much for taking your time to give me all of this information! They are looking much better! We have given probiotics, fulvic and tons of prayer. It has gone through most of them, but they are all recovering!!!

I'm so glad to hear it! It looks like mine have the same thing. I had to cull one of my pullets yesterday. It was terrible. I'm so thankful yours are ok! That kind of probiotics did you use please?

I'm so glad to hear it! It looks like mine have the same thing. I had to cull one of my pullets yesterday. It was terrible. I'm so thankful yours are ok! That kind of probiotics did you use please?
Also, what is Fulvic, please? Where would I get it? Thank you! I'm so worried about my hens.

I made some homemade yogart, because I didn't want anything added to it. I am not sure if you are a Christian or not, but prayer is what I know helped the mostly!!!

Back
Top Bottom