Chickens first egg tastes funny

It also could be that they are eating something and its effecting the eggs. My family has always said "what they eat is what they make" so if they eat garlic then there egg could change a little. One of my flocks lay funny tasting eggs but I haven't found out what yet.
Do you think it could be Black oil sunflower seeds?

Do you have other layers? Are any other eggs funny tasting?

we’ve had the occasional off tasting egg, and usually we don’t know why-we can just speculate. , and it wasn’t a Continuing Problem. However, last year I was playing around with a few things believed to increase egg yolk color, and would feed them one item for several days, along with normal feed, take a break for a few days, try another one. So, none of them made the eggs taste funny except the turmeric I had sprinkled on/into wetfeed. It wasn’t a whole lot either, but enough to make the eggs taste really off - and very slightly turmeric (but maybe that part was imagined since I knew they had been given turmeric). those eggs did not taste chemical, however.

maybe take a walk around to really assess what the can get into. Is there a spot behind a shed or garage that might have some contaminated soil? Any standing water that is attracting bugs or is itself being used to drink from? Can they eat through a fence items from a neighbor yard?

but, if no other girls are laying off flavored eggs, maybe it is just her! You can always use her eggs to cook up for the girls and feed back to them. Maybe after she molts, things will improve.

Do you have other layers? Are any other eggs funny tasting?

we’ve had the occasional off tasting egg, and usually we don’t know why-we can just speculate. , and it wasn’t a Continuing Problem. However, last year I was playing around with a few things believed to increase egg yolk color, and would feed them one item for several days, along with normal feed, take a break for a few days, try another one. So, none of them made the eggs taste funny except the turmeric I had sprinkled on/into wetfeed. It wasn’t a whole lot either, but enough to make the eggs taste really off - and very slightly turmeric (but maybe that part was imagined since I knew they had been given turmeric). those eggs did not taste chemical, however.

maybe take a walk around to really assess what the can get into. Is there a spot behind a shed or garage that might have some contaminated soil? Any standing water that is attracting bugs or is itself being used to drink from? Can they eat through a fence items from a neighbor yard?

but, if no other girls are laying off flavored eggs, maybe it is just her! You can always use her eggs to cook up for the girls and feed back to them. Maybe after she molts, things will improve.
Thanks for the advice! She is the only one laying right now, but the others her age seem like they’re gonna start any day now. Also, when do chickens usually molt?

Thanks for the advice! She is the only one laying right now, but the others her age seem like they’re gonna start any day now. Also, when do chickens usually molt?

the *real* picture worthy molts usually happen after their first winter, and usually in the fall. So, a pullet doesn’t usually molt until over a year old. I have had 11 month olds heavily molt in January, but that was not typical. During a chicken’s first year they have mini-molts as they grow and feathers change. You’ll know they are molting when the run begins to have a lot of feathers in it, then you’ll look carefully and notice they look a bit scraggly, in addition to few or no eggs from the flock.

Our first eggs have tasted a bit tangy too.
BA25A036-B4F2-42A1-9A0D-73FA1F42F364.jpeg

Our funny taste never went away, and it’s just the one chicken, cause our other girls started laying and theirs taste fine, so I’m pretty sure it’s a genetic thing. If you mix her eggs in with others the chlorine aftertaste isn’t as noticeable though. Oh well :hmm

Back
Top Bottom