Chickens for kids?

Seramas!!!
celebrate.gif
I just took a bunch to a city festival in the park to promote our 4H group, and let all the kids play with them! They were a HUGE hit!!

My serama are great around kids, my rooster has been to several 4-h meetings and has had kids all around, petting and holding him and he did great. My hen has been twice and also did great. Plus they are pretty small so they might be easier to hold. I also love silkies, they are a great choice too.

I got silkies for my boys. They are great for kids. But you know, I think everyone is going to give you different opinions. I'd go to the link fo picking chickens breeds, and let the kids chose that way, and then try to find them. BUT, nearly every chicken can be a good chicken, girl chick preferable, if they are constantly handled nicely. I have a faverolle roo who is the sweetest guy, will let both my boys touch him... but the silkies are the least objectionable to being held and carried around... I have a RIR pullet who will eat out of my hands, stand on my feet, but only let me pick her up when she's ready to go into the coop... And then I have a bunch of 2.5 mo old cochin mutts who do not like to be touched at all,(they were not handled by the people who hatched them) but will walk by you, walk across my feet come stand by me when I am sitting on the step, but as soon as my hands move to touch them, they scatter, and then come back... SO, depends on how the chickens are raised..

Quote:
Then check out Dutch bantams. I have both, and I do find the Sebrights a bit flighty. The Dutch, on the other hand, are the friendliest of all my birds, including the silkies. Even the roosters are mellow. They're a great size for small kids to handle, very calm, and the roos strut just like the "big boys" and have gorgeous tales. When I first started in chickens, I didn't want any "gamey" bantams, but now I would have Dutchies if I couldn't have any other breed!

Quote:
I want Seramas, but worried that they might be too small and fragile for kids. Am I overestimating their fragility? Was thinking to have only C or even D class because of this......

Quote:
I want Seramas, but worried that they might be too small and fragile for kids. Am I overestimating their fragility? Was thinking to have only C or even D class because of this......

My rooster the last time i weighed him he was 17 ounces barely a C, he does fine with the kids. My hen was 8 oz the last time i weighed her and a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old both held her and did fine. So it might be worth a try, just help the kid holding them and make sure they dont hold on to tight of course. Good Luck if you do get some, they will be my favorite breed for life, i cant wait to get more.

I have two Buff Orpingtons, and they are the best. one, named Lady will sit in my arms for 40 minutes. When my friends come over, I hand them the other, Yolanda because she just sits, but not for as long. plus, if you get your birds as chicks and they are being held every day, as the birds grow, their handlers will become stronger. Congrats to Lady on laying her first egg though! Good Luck!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom