Chickens foraging on neighbor's lawn?

Chickens may not be able to swim across a moat but they can fly across one (if it isn't too wide!)
For sure! I have a creek on the back of my lot, with a little "island" in the middle of part of it, and a pullet flew over the creek and landed on the island. I threw on my hipwaders, went out there to grab her, and she flew back over the creek + about 100' of lawn and landed in another patch of bushes, and I was able to herd her back from there.

As someones else suggested already deer fencing would work. Its affordable and easier than most fences to install and its tall. You need a 6 fr fence to keep most chickens in.
Thanks! I couldn't afford to buy a new fence right now, so I used materials on hand, which was 4' chicken wire netting. Amazingly, they all stayed inside for two days now!

For sure! I have a creek on the back of my lot, with a little "island" in the middle of part of it, and a pullet flew over the creek and landed on the island. I threw on my hipwaders, went out there to grab her, and she flew back over the creek + about 100' of lawn and landed in another patch of bushes, and I was able to herd her back from there.
Silly chickens!

Anci
Thanks! I couldn't afford to buy a new fence right now, so I used materials on hand, which was 4' chicken wire netting. Amazingly, they all stayed inside for two days now!
Ok,it’s a very belated post, but I manage to “fence” my four adult hens, (RIR and Australorps) behind unfolded sections of free-standing metal dog pens, clipped together. (From Amazon) So far so good, it’s mobile, and re-arrangeable)

I wasn't aware that chickens will not cross moats! Thanks!
They will. We had 5 inches of rain in 24 hours after several days and my major ditch on the side was 6 feet wide, fairly fast flowing once towardsthe center and do you know the bantams would just fly across, the easter eggers and australirps would wade in as far as they could then jump fly.. and it was 28-30degrees. We put up poultry fence

Back
Top Bottom