Chickens foraging on neighbor's lawn?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi again! New chicken owner here. I have 26 hens and 1 rooster (all juveniles) on 5 acres of land in an agricultural area in the midwest. My front yard borders a nice green pasture of another few acres. Last fall I let the chickens free range and they stayed within 100 feet of my barn. However I just let them out again after being inside the barn all winter, and they stray to my neighbors lawn, all 20 or so of them, for an hour or so at a time, then come back to my lawn. I texted my neighbor that I was sorry about it, and would put up a fence in the next few weeks. He didn't respond (nor did he actually say anything to me about it). He did tell me once that his Amish neighbors inappropriately let their animals roam, and his barn cats sometimes roam on the Amish neighbor's property. He didn't seem too angry except that the Amish neighbor's teenage son shot one of the trespassing barn cats with an arrow. I don't really want to put up a fence, due to cost and aesthetics. What do you think?

Last edited:
Hi again! New chicken owner here. I have 26 hens and 1 rooster (all juveniles) on 5 acres of land in an agricultural area in the midwest. My front yard borders a nice green pasture of another few acres. Last fall I let the chickens free range and they stayed within 100 feet of my barn. However I just let them out again after being inside the barn all winter, and they stray to my neighbors lawn, all 20 or so of them, for an hour or so at a time, then come back to my lawn. I texted my neighbor that I was sorry about it, and would put up a fence in the next few weeks. He didn't respond (nor did he actually say anything to me about it). He did tell me once that his Amish neighbors inappropriately let their animals roam, and his barn cats sometimes roam on the Amish neighbor's property. He didn't seem too angry except that the Amish neighbor's teenage son shot one of the trespassing barn cats with an arrow. I don't really want to put up a fence, due to cost and aesthetics. What do you think?
Might be a good idea to invest in poultry fencing.

We actually had a similar situation happen a few years back. We had a neighbor that seemed like they didn't mind and went as far as telling my husband our chickens (7 Silkies) could wander on over there anytime because their poop is an excellent fertilizer, so on and so forth. They wouldn't go over there frequently, but when they did we were under the impression the neighbors were absolutely fine with it. Low and behold they wondered over there one day and next thing I know a sheriff is pulling up into our driveway stating the neighbors called because they have an issue with our chickens going over there. We ended up putting a fence up so the chickens wouldn't wonder over there and potentially cause any more problems. The neighbors eventually moved and it's not an issue now, but just be mindful some folks will not say anything directly to you and handle things their own way...

Last edited:
How tall should the fence be and what size or shape wire holes?
A moat ... have spent a lot already to divert excess rainwater from the property to the municipal drainage ditch. Not sure if I want more water on the property.

Back
Top Bottom