Chickens getting sick and dying??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jesusfreakmir12, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Jesusfreakmir12

Jesusfreakmir12 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2012
    I've had 5 of my flock die of the same symptoms. It happens suddenly, they seem fine the day before. The symptoms are they act sleepy, won't eat and just stand with their feathers fluffed. Then they die after a few hours. I now have 2 that are just starting to have the symptoms.The ages they are range from 6mths- 2 years. What do they have and is it treatable? Please help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Have you checked them for mites or lice? They can kill birds when there are a lot of them. You should also see what their poop looks like - that can be a clue.

3. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Gonna need more information, but there's a few things you can do first:
    • Pull any birds showing symptoms away from the rest, so as minimize the spread (if this is something contagious).
    • Clean/sterilize all equipment used for both the healthy and the unhealthy.
    • Provide them an astringent solution of Apple Cider Vinegar at the rate of four teaspoons to each gallon of water (but not in galvanized metal containers), just in case this involves toxins from botulism/aflatoxins/etc., and to help them to expel mucus, in case it's respiratory, and to remove the coatings in their mouths, throats and intestines (which improves uptake of nutrients/vitamins and any medicines they may require).

Potential causes of high mortality w/o prior symptoms include fowl cholera, erysipelas, exotic Newcastle disease, acute coccidiosis, aflatoxin, botulism, poison, and fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome.

Hopefully, you can gather more information on the symptoms, so we can begin eliminating things from this longer list, and deal w/ those that remain for which some treatment is known. Check their droppings ... 1 out of every 8-10 is cecal poop, which is different from the rest, but you're lookin' for diarrhea and green color ... take/upload pictures of their poop.

Check their feed. Make sure it isn't recalled (tractor supply's DuMor has been, for potential aflatoxins). If it's moldy, or the corn's blackened, it's most probably your problem (again, aflatoxins). Check anywhere they have access to for decaying material, and most esp. the maggots that feed on it -- takes about three or four of 'em to kill some poultry/fowl, due to the concentrations of toxins produced by botulism bacteria, resulting in intoxification of the birds that eat 'em.

4. Jesusfreakmir12

Aug 27, 2012
    Their poop is white and a little runny (sorry cant upload pic as it is dark outside). There's no mold in their feed from what I can see. But I do give them scrapes so maybe there was mold in there? Thanks.

5. Jesusfreakmir12

Aug 27, 2012
    heir poop is white and a little runny (sorry cant upload pic as it is dark outside). There's no mold in their feed from what I can see. But I do give them scrapes so maybe there was mold in there? Thanks

6. cowcreekgeek

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    If the scraps were food unsafe for human consumption, then that might be the problem ... anything that would make us sick will most probably kill birds.

But, again? Look for additional symptoms ... there's a link in my signature, diagnosing diseases based upon symptoms (or somethin' like that), which you should read through twice -- first time? Just skim it over, to get a feel for the general concept. Second time? Look for anything you can see w/in your own birds, after givin' your flock a much closer look.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://www.ca.uky.edu/poultryprofit...natomy_and_Physiology/Chapter3_digestive.html
    scroll down to the end

I would treat for coccidiosis if it were my flock. If they haven't been introduced to new soil (or shoes walking on new soil then into their pens) they are likely immunocompromised to be succumbing to coccoidiosis at that age, when they should have built up immunity.

Causes of immunocompromised status can include, but not be limited to the following: worms, mites/lice, infection as in E. Coli etc., respiratory ailments, poor nutritional status, and so on.

What are you feeding? Make sure you are giving them a good laying ration, not just scratch, as an example.

IF they don't improve after 24 hours of treatment with Corid, then I'd consider another cause.

Some vets will do a fecal test for worms and cocci for a small fee (bring in the poo). False negatives are possible for the worm check. This can be valuable as if it is negative for cocci then you can get an antibiotic into them if indicated.

1 person likes this.
  8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

diagnosis charts at bottom- note white feces in chart

This may or may not help you.

Please be aware that I am not sure of what is wrong with your chickens...just trying to help.

9. cowcreekgeek

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    CORID® is a specific brand name of the active ingredient amprolium, which works by blocking the thiamine w/in the digestive tract, to which coccidia are fifty times more sensitive to than your chickens are, so it's a tremendously safe/effective treatment, and I keep some on hand just in case my birds become exposed to a variety that they've not built up any immunity to.

Even if toxins turn out to be the cause, I don't think amprolium would do any harm, but if their droppings are still normal? I doubt that explains the sudden deaths.

Repeating from my first response: Potential causes of high mortality w/o prior symptoms include fowl cholera, erysipelas, exotic Newcastle disease, acute coccidiosis, aflatoxin, botulism, poison, and fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome.

10. NJNick

NJNick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    Hello
    You say to give the chickens. Apple Cider vinegar at 4 teaspoons per gallon. To get rid of a pretty wide range of stomach problems. And to clear mucas from the throat.
    I have heard of apple cider and copper sulfate in the water. As prevention of catching some disease or viral and bacterial infections.
    I to have had the problem with this diarrhea. Only on spotty occasions. But it seems to be worse in the fall and winter.

I have always called the greens. And maybe it is sometimes the white diarrhea. But the chickens do get very skinny and loose weight a very face pace.
    So I will try the ACV. Hopefully that will fix this problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by