Chickens having problems and dying!

Mjae2020

Hatching
Apr 12, 2020
I have had 3 chickens die in the past 2 weeks and I can't figure out what is wrong!
They start with droopy wings, and have trouble with balance.
They lose a ton of weight but they are eating and drinking. The one that just died was drinking but shaking her head when she drank and the water would fall out of her mouth.
Their tails get droopy to.
I have used wormer in their water thinking it wasa possible worm infestation, they have dusting tubs with DE in them, they get layer and scratch feed, they have a clean coop.
Their run is all dirt no grass so the free range on occasion.
Not sure what else to do!! What could it be?

Worming without knowing if they have worms isn't the best option. It's best to get a fecal float test to know what you're dealing with so you treat the right thing. Is it possible you can do that?

Do they have any other symptoms? Discharge from their eyes or respiratory issues? They may be eating but that doesn't mean they're eating enough due to appetite loss. Have you noticed whether they're going through as much feed as normal? What about poop? Any blood in it or is it an off color?

The only way you'll know for sure is to send a body to a lab for a necropsy.

Sorry for hour loss, but welcome to BYC. How old are the chickens you have lost? Where are you located? What did their poops look like? It is possible that they have coccidiosis or enteritis, dehydration, Mareks, or other diseases. Corid treats coccidiosis if that may be a problem. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

When losing a chicken or several, it is always best to send the body into your state vet for a necropsy to look for a cause of death. Keep it cold and wrapped in plastic bags in a cooler with ice, but do not freeze. Here is a list of US poultry vets that you can contact if you lose another:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Worming without knowing if they have worms isn't the best option. It's best to get a fecal float test to know what you're dealing with so you treat the right thing. Is it possible you can do that?

Do they have any other symptoms? Discharge from their eyes or respiratory issues? They may be eating but that doesn't mean they're eating enough due to appetite loss. Have you noticed whether they're going through as much feed as normal? What about poop? Any blood in it or is it an off color?

The only way you'll know for sure is to send a body to a lab for a necropsy.
There have no other symptoms that I have seen, they did have mites but we sprayed with permethrin in the coop and on the chickens themselves and got a dust bath with DE in there. I will go out and check poop, I know there was no blood

Sorry for hour loss, but welcome to BYC. How old are the chickens you have lost? Where are you located? What did their poops look like? It is possible that they have coccidiosis or enteritis, dehydration, Mareks, or other diseases. Corid treats coccidiosis if that may be a problem. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

When losing a chicken or several, it is always best to send the body into your state vet for a necropsy to look for a cause of death. Keep it cold and wrapped in plastic bags in a cooler with ice, but do not freeze. Here is a list of US poultry vets that you can contact if you lose another:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
I do have corid ill give them A dose to make sure no one else gets it

Back
Top Bottom