Chickens heads ripped off in the night ? What did this 2 just gone , in closed coop all around & top

Lost chickens heads ripped off in the night 1 had her rear end tore open also, 2 just gone coop is closed off top & all around. What did this ? I am in Williamson county fairview Tennessee

Most likely it was a raccoon or fox. Can you post a pic of your coop and run so we can see what's up? Also, what kind of wire are you using on your coop/run??? Do you see any footprints?? Do you see where/how they got in???

No foot prints it rained a lot last night. I have chain link fence then it is wrapped in chicken wire plus 2 ft attached to bottom under ground a tight wire across top. Think it got in at the corner top of gate... 3 years never a problem till now , also got chickens next door last weekend & he failed to tell me !

I understand how upset you must be...with that said, you said you thought it got in through the top corner of your gate....a-typical for a raccoon! Is your gate chain link fence also? Can you post a pic of your area so I can get a better idea to help with beefing up your setup?

images

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Oh, I am so so sorry!! I don't know what might have gotten in. But someone might know if you post this in our Predators and Pests section. They may be able to help you decipher what got in....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

I hope your heavy heart can heal soon.
hugs.gif

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for your losses. X2 on posting in the Predator forum with pictures.

Welcome to BYC! Sorry for your losses. The missing heads sounds like the work of a raccoon (although weasels and minks will also eat the heads off). You should replace the chicken wire with hardward cloth. There are just too many predators that can either tear through (like raccoons) or pass through (like weasels and minks) the openings in the mesh in chicken wire. And even if they can't tear through the underlying chain link fence, raccoons will reach through the openings and grab chickens pulling them against the fence and killing them. Good luck in predator proofing your coop and run.

Yes the gate is chain link as well with chicken wire. My cell is full & want take a picture & I dont have a I- pad that takes pictures yet. I am going to set outside tonight & wait on whatever it is to come back. I have new kid goats too & 8 small drags & 3 cats, don't want to lose any of them! One of my dogs killed a baby oposam & people behind me has seen a red moma fox. Thank you for everyone's help! I will tend to the problem & make sure all is tightly sealed & safe then get some more feathered babies. I am really going to miss pretty boy waking me in the morning & all my girls & yes they all had names! The 4 I have left are afraid they seem to want me to stay in coop area with them , they start fussing as I walk out!!!

Back
Top Bottom