Chickens in HenHouse vs. Run

SFPeggy

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 31, 2013
I have my second flock of five backyard chickens. Almost 4 months old. I hope they are all hens. Our coop is an A-frame with a screened run at the bottom, with food, water and perches. The henhouse is much smaller, with a ramp up to it. When I first put the girls out, I kept them in the Henhouse for about a week, with a warming light, food and water, then let them roam the whole coop. These days they seem to spend a lot of time all clustered up in the henhouse and go up there at night to sleep. I heard they are supposed to only lay in the henhouse, and sleep on a perch in the run. With my last flock, we had some broken eggs as they fought over space in the henhouse. Should I close up the henhouse most of the day -- till they start laying -- and at night, so that they sleep in the run? We are in San Francisco and it doesn't get below 45 degrees at night, but can be windy. Thanks.

How big is this coop/run combo? The minimum recommendation for a back yard flock is 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird. This is usable floor space. With an A frame, you will be giving up a lot of floor space b/c of the steep pitch of the roof to floor.

What is your general location? Is this coop/run placed where it has shade all day long? How much ventilation in the coop area? For 5 birds, especially with the decreased cu. ft. of a stacked coop/run arrangement, they should have AT LEAST 5 s.f. of ventilation in the coop. This ventilation must be arranged so that they do not have a draft on them as they roost, nor do they have moisture blowing in on them. And it must be predator proof.

Generally the birds sleep in the coop b/c that is the most secure place.

Thanks - I am wondering how you are defining "run" and "coop." I call the whole thing the coop, and it includes "run" at bottom (dirt floor) and henhouse and a storage space upstairs (wood) - the top part of the "A".
Plenty of ventilation and shade all day - the run's "walls" are made of hardware cloth. It's in a corner of the backyard. There's about 50 s.f. in the run, and the henhouse maybe 20. They are out in the backyard for a couple of hours once or twice a day, also.
Yes, they are sleeping in the coop (whether in the run or henhouse) every night.

The coop is defined as the space that is typically closed in from the weather. It includes perches for the birds to sleep on, and nest boxes. The run is typically a more open space. May or may not have a roof over it. It has bare ground so the birds can dig and scratch for insects, the walls are typically made of hardware cloth. (or chicken wire, or electronet)

Have they always spent most of their days in the coop part...or is this a more recent behavior?
They may have been spooked by something and feel safer in the coop than down in the run.

Thanks! I think they don't like the wind, even though it's not so cold here. I am just going to let them hang out where they like, for now. Also going to raise up the laying boxes in the henhouse, for when they start laying (1 month I hope).
We might also figure out how to put a piece of plexiglass over the back section of the run, to give additional shelter from the west wind (although they are already in a corner of the backyard).

I would not be blocking the breezes, if you are in the northern hemisphere. Putting your general location will help folks to give climate specific information. More chickens are killed from overheating than from being too cold.

During the winter, I wrap 3 sides and part of the top of one bay of their run with plastic to give them shelter from the winter winds. It makes a huge difference in the comfort level of being outside.

Back
Top Bottom