Chickens in the snow?

HaleyS

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 4, 2009
I just got four chicks this spring and I was wondering what I should do with them when it begins to snow this winter. Will they stay in their coop or will my hens want to plod through the snow?

Depends. If they've never seen snow before, they will probably stay in the coop with their heads hanging out of the door. If they have experienced snow, they will probably be out in it.

My 6-month old chickens are NOT liking the snow - and we've just had over a foot of it with some big drifts here in Colorado. I cleared a little area just outside the coop and scattered some scratch there and they were happy to come out and get a little fresh air after being shut in all day yesterday, but didn't really want to get their feet in the white stuff. Straw might be a good idea, though it could get pretty messy and keep everything really wet underneath. Seemed easier just to shovel out a little area. Our snow tends to disappear pretty quickly, though - will be gone by the weekend and dry soon after. Having lived in Bloominton IN for many years, I know that is not the case there!

Last edited:
I shovel mine a willy nilly path through the chicken run - sort of looks like a maze when we have alot of snow. Then I sprinkle scratch along it to give them something to do. I have a stash of leaves and throw them out on the path to keep them even busier.

My chooks hate the snow. Too bad since it covers the ground for 5 months of the year. After awhile, they will come out and walk around, but only when forced, and only on my shoveled paths. They stand at the back door and beg to come into the kitchen. Wishful thinking.

I think they just need some fur-lined mukluks (eskimo boots). I wouldn't wanna walk barefooted in the snow either.
lau.gif

Besides the paths in the run (love the meandering path idea!) I have a "jungle gym" of sorts made fromdead limbs and saplings kind of bent over and intertwined to make a dome. Even now in our fall weather they will often hang out on the limbs to enjoy the warm sun on a cool day. I plan to make sure a path to it is cleared of snow so they can enjoy some fresh air without their toes being buried in the snow!

My chickens dislike the snow (and I really do not think it is because it is cold, I think it is because it *looks different*) but if I track a bit of snow into the indoor pens, they go crazy pecking at it like it is some gourmet delicacy. Go figure
tongue.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom