Chickens In Ya Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's so beautiful but the comb is a total DQ. No breeding for him. So besides the chicks I just hatched which appear so far to be BQ, all my first guys need to go. Either be sold or be given away except for two pullets I will keep. Should I wait till spring to sell? Or just sell now? Should I buy the started birds from these breeders now or wait till spring? If I buy them now I will have to quarantine and it's going down to freezing at night, so that might be difficult but I guess not impossible. Any insight to help me out? I'm trying to build a solid foundation here so I can really keep my hobby going and be good at it. I'm not planning on trying to show birds anytime soon but I would be open to the idea in a few years.
Don't feel bad I did the same thing with my Silver Laced Wyandottes. The good news is I can get $20 for a point of lay bird here to recoup some of the cost. We also sell eggs from our RSL's so that buys all the food we need and puts some money in the boys pockets.

A note on selling. If you live near a larger city you might be able to sell more through the year. In under two days I have sold everything from day old chicks, started pullets, laying pullets, and roosters. And that includes just two weeks ago when I sold some chicks. I'm starting to wonder if I could sell chicks year round here.

Its so different there versus here:

hide.gif
the water parks open down here on Memorial Day

They do here, too. But no one goes until 4th of July except kids.

Don't feel bad I did the same thing with my Silver Laced Wyandottes. The good news is I can get $20 for a point of lay bird here to recoup some of the cost. We also sell eggs from our RSL's so that buys all the food we need and puts some money in the boys pockets.

A note on selling. If you live near a larger city you might be able to sell more through the year. In under two days I have sold everything from day old chicks, started pullets, laying pullets, and roosters. And that includes just two weeks ago when I sold some chicks. I'm starting to wonder if I could sell chicks year round here.

I think your onto something, as far as the big cities, aside from it being so warm year round here, theres just alot of flipn People... I live 20 miles from Baton Rouge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom