CHICKENS KEEP DYING

DrakeMom

Songster
Mar 20, 2019
El Campo, Texas
A week ago I found a dead hen in the run. It looked like it had been dead for awhile and the other chickens casually pecked on it. I disposed of it and went on with life. I kept wondering what could've happened to it. I thought maybe a predator could've got in and killed it. And now that I'm saying this, I just remembered another chicken that died maybe two weeks ago. I found it right after it died and it was still limp and warm.

And now tonight, I suddenly went into the chicken house before going to bed. I don't usually go in there that late. I saw a chicken sitting on the house floor taking deep breaths through her mouth. She was huddled and then she would suddenly stretch her neck out and take a deep breath with her eyes closed. I picked her up and took her into the garage. I googled around on my phone and lots of different things came up. I eyed her closely and wondered if putting her down would be the best solution. I squirted some water into her mouth as it looked quite parched. She shook violently for a few seconds, toppled over, liquid came out of her vent, and suddenly she was still...

WHAT IS HAPPENING?????

A week ago I found a dead hen in the run. It looked like it had been dead for awhile and the other chickens casually pecked on it. I disposed of it and went on with life. I kept wondering what could've happened to it. I thought maybe a predator could've got in and killed it. And now that I'm saying this, I just remembered another chicken that died maybe two weeks ago. I found it right after it died and it was still limp and warm.

And now tonight, I suddenly went into the chicken house before going to bed. I don't usually go in there that late. I saw a chicken sitting on the house floor taking deep breaths through her mouth. She was huddled and then she would suddenly stretch her neck out and take a deep breath with her eyes closed. I picked her up and took her into the garage. I googled around on my phone and lots of different things came up. I eyed her closely and wondered if putting her down would be the best solution. I squirted some water into her mouth as it looked quite parched. She shook violently for a few seconds, toppled over, liquid came out of her vent, and suddenly she was still...

WHAT IS HAPPENING?????
Maybe not proper ventilation? I'm not sure. I had a perfectly healthy chicken die 3 weeks ago and found her in a similar position. It was -22 though so possibly related but not necessarily.

Maybe not proper ventilation? I'm not sure. I had a perfectly healthy chicken die 3 weeks ago and found her in a similar position. It was -22 though so possibly related but not necessarily.
I thought ventilation might be the problem too; especially since I live in south Texas... I bought a electric ventilation fan a few weeks ago but haven't had someone to help me install it yet.

I have had this problem since this summer. It waned when it cooled down. It seems like certain breeds are more prone to it. I had half my PBR die in this manner. The rest of my flock ( EE, Wyandotte’s, Black Sexlink, RIR) has achieved some sort of immunity. In my experience when they are gasping like this there is no coming back. Ours had diarrhea as well with a cough. The extreme changes in the weather seem to make it worse. I believe it is intestinal spirochetosis. From what I researched the West in the USA have a very deadly strain. Apparently it is usually present in most chickens but most strains don’t cause an issue. I wanted to avoid antibiotics so I have been giving them raw milk keifer grains everyday and that did seem to clear it up. I read a few very old threads about it on here but not a lot of info overall.

Last edited:
I have had this problem since this summer. It waned when it cooled down. It seems like certain breeds are more prone to it. I had half my PBR die in this manner. The rest of my flock ( EE, Wyandotte’s, Black Sexlink, RIR) has achieved some sort of immunity. In my experience when they are gasping like this there is no coming back. Ours had diarrhea as well with a cough. The extreme changes in the weather seem to make it worse. I believe it is intestinal spirochetosis. From what I researched the West in the USA have a very deadly strain. Apparently it is usually present in most chickens but most strains don’t cause an issue. I wanted to avoid antibiotics so I have been giving them raw milk keifer grains everyday and that did seem to clear it up. I read a few very old threads about it on here but not a lot of info overall.
Thank you! That was really helpful!

Back
Top Bottom