Chickens kicking out straw of nesting boxes

Very normal for new layers to make a mess of nest boxes as they're exploring them and trying to get the materials in there to sit the way they want. A nice lip on nest boxes helps to keep bedding in while allowing them to kick stuff around, I'd aim for 3, 4" of lip.

Leave the fake eggs in - if they're used to seeing them, it can upset them to see them gone and cause them to refuse to use the boxes (because there's clearly something wrong with them).

Very normal for new layers to make a mess of nest boxes as they're exploring them and trying to get the materials in there to sit the way they want. A nice lip on nest boxes helps to keep bedding in while allowing them to kick stuff around, I'd aim for 3, 4" of lip.

Leave the fake eggs in - if they're used to seeing them, it can upset them to see them gone and cause them to refuse to use the boxes (because there's clearly something wrong with them).
The leave fake eggs in ( @rosemarythyme ) is actually the best advice. If the nest already has eggs in the next hen who lays eggs there doesn't disrupt the nest.

Ditto Dat^^^

They'll stop doing that once they get the hang of things...can take up to a months or so.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I added a piece of wood to the front of the boxes and now the straw is staying in place even though it clearly is being rearranged. My Ameraucana laid outside the box again today so I put the fake egg back in. Hopefully she'll figure it out soon or perhaps the other two pullets will begin to lay and show her how it's done!

Thanks everyone for your comments. I added a piece of wood to the front of the boxes and now the straw is staying in place even though it clearly is being rearranged. My Ameraucana laid outside the box again today so I put the fake egg back in. Hopefully she'll figure it out soon or perhaps the other two pullets will begin to lay and show her how it's done!
Excellent!
Do you only have one nest?

Another crazy observation... I just went out to check to see if anyone else laid this afternoon and found another blue egg, this time in one of the boxes! I only have one Ameraucana so know it was the same girl who laid this morning. My brown leghorn laid two eggs in one day last summer so know it can happen. Has this happened for any of you?

Another crazy observation... I just went out to check to see if anyone else laid this afternoon and found another blue egg, this time in one of the boxes! I only have one Ameraucana so know it was the same girl who laid this morning. My brown leghorn laid two eggs in one day last summer so know it can happen. Has this happened for any of you?
Never 2 hard shelled egg in one day here...but have read it can happen.
She just wanted to show you she could lay in the nest!! :gig

Back
Top Bottom