chickens lethargic/eyes closed = what could be wrong?

joyful-homemaker

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
central ohio
Several of the hens in my big coup look like they are dying all of the sudden. They are standing or sitting with their feathers all ruffeled up and their eyes closed. Their face and comb and wattles look pale/dried up. They stopped laying eggs and only move if you nudge them. I didnt change feed, location or anything. These birds are 2-4 or 5 years old. They are speckled sussex, golden buff, wellsummer and white leghorn. They seem to be having normal poos.
any help would be appreciated!

ps. I have started them on antibiotic and vitamimes.

Try putting a heat lamp in there with them, they are probably cold. Hopefully they are not coming down with anything. Antibiotics and vitamins sounds like a good plan.

thank you. I have a heat lamp in there and its in the 60's today. The other things I have noticed is the ones doing this are labored in their breathing and all of them keep shaking their head and doing something that looks like gagging. I hope it is something simple.

Did you check in there mouths to see if there is worms in their throat. They call that Gape. They will extent there heads upwards with there mouths wide open, like there gasping for air. Sometimes that can be a sign as well as respiratory infections.

also I am not sure on the dosage of antibiotic or vitamines, just guessing. They just recently ate two empty diaper wipes containers of oyster shell. Could they overdose on this? could they need grit?

They need grite. I wouldn't think they would over due it on Oyster Shells, however, that seems like a lot at once.

You'll see red in their poop if it's Cocci.

If they seem to be overeating something that is not typical feed (as in oyster shell or grit) that's typically an indicator that it's intestinal in nature...they'll eat something else if their intestinal tract is not feeling well, because they're trying to make themselves feel better.

If you see red/mucous in their poo, it could be Cocci. You really shouldn't treat with antibiotics unless you are fairly sure what you are treating, as there are SO many of them out there.

Do check their mouth for gapeworm; they are red. You can hold their mouths open with a pencil or something about that diameter. Shine a flashlight down into their throat; they will be right behind the glottis, the back of the bottom of the mouth.

Gaping can also be indication of respiratory illness; are they sneezing at all? make sure to keep them warm and make sure they are on clean bedding. If they have, for example, tipped over a waterer, it could be wet in their area, which could cause respiratory illness.

Do you have any VetRX? If so, a drop or two in their mouth and under their wings may help.

It's very hard to help when you cannot see them. Sorry! GOOD LUCK, and hopefully they will pull through.

Back
Top Bottom