chickens limps but only sometimes

rahaf

Chirping
Apr 18, 2023
ive had this hen limp for about 10 days now, when i was observing them then thr second i took my eyes off her and looked again she was limping, looked for bumblefoot, injuries or swelling all over and couldnt find a thing
next day she stopped limping completely with only sometimes standing on one leg, the day after she started limping again but slightly, and so on till now sometimes i look at her and shes limping slightly and sometimes shes walking just fine, shes eating drinking digging and jumping just as normal, its only been about a year since ive had chickens and im very new to everything still so does anyone know what it could be? and in my experiance so far everytime i seperated them when theyre unwell they only got worse and worse and all died eventually, unlike when i left them with their friends they seemed to get better so if anyone can help me with a solution that doesnt include seperating id rlly appreciate it :) thank u!

ive had this hen limp for about 10 days now, when i was observing them then thr second i took my eyes off her and looked again she was limping, looked for bumblefoot, injuries or swelling all over and couldnt find a thing
next day she stopped limping completely with only sometimes standing on one leg, the day after she started limping again but slightly, and so on till now sometimes i look at her and shes limping slightly and sometimes shes walking just fine, shes eating drinking digging and jumping just as normal, its only been about a year since ive had chickens and im very new to everything still so does anyone know what it could be? and in my experiance so far everytime i seperated them when theyre unwell they only got worse and worse and all died eventually, unlike when i left them with their friends they seemed to get better so if anyone can help me with a solution that doesnt include seperating id rlly appreciate it :) thank u!
I am new to chickens but adopted a friend's flock. One -Adaline- has only one good leg (my husband calls her limpy). She does great with one leg and roams around better than all the other chickens. She flys more - which is good! When the neighbors dog attacked, she was the only one to fly on top of the coop - out of harms way. Two others died as a result of the attack. She lays the hardest eggs because she is always free ranging because she flys in and out of run at will. I hope your chick will be fine or adapt to her condition. 🙂

I am new to chickens but adopted a friend's flock. One -Adaline- has only one good leg (my husband calls her limpy). She does great with one leg and roams around better than all the other chickens. She flys more - which is good! When the neighbors dog attacked, she was the only one to fly on top of the coop - out of harms way. Two others died as a result of the attack. She lays the hardest eggs because she is always free ranging because she flys in and out of run at will. I hope your chick will be fine or adapt to her condition. 🙂
thank u sm! who knew chickens r so adaptable lol, im glad limpy is thriving! and yes hopefully she ends up well whatever it could be :)

I think you are right to keep her with the flock, I have one too that is still limping and could find no injuries I put her in a cage in the garage for 2 weeks then tried to put her back with the flock and they attacked her but I was right there so she didn't get hurt I fenced her off near the others then after a week tried again and they accepted her but she will not lay her egg in the coop she comes to the door for me to take her to the cage then she will lay her egg, everyday I take her to the coop and she just runs out and goes to the door. She has been sleeping in the coop for a month now tonight she insisted on going to the cage. I don't know what's going on, I haven't seen her bullied but something happened. Time for a camera I guess.

I think you are right to keep her with the flock, I have one too that is still limping and could find no injuries I put her in a cage in the garage for 2 weeks then tried to put her back with the flock and they attacked her but I was right there so she didn't get hurt I fenced her off near the others then after a week tried again and they accepted her but she will not lay her egg in the coop she comes to the door for me to take her to the cage then she will lay her egg, everyday I take her to the coop and she just runs out and goes to the door. She has been sleeping in the coop for a month now tonight she insisted on going to the cage. I don't know what's going on, I haven't seen her bullied but something happened. Time for a camera I guess.
oh yea i left her alone in my experiance they do best next to their flockmates, she stopped limping too so i wouldve just stressed her out way more by locking her and possibly get worse

Back
Top Bottom