Chickens not laying eggs yet..

Kramer2543

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2019
I have 4 chickens, almost 7 months old. I have one that's a great layer she lays 1 egg a day sometimes 2 on rare occasions, and I'm 100% sure she is the only one laying. I believe they are rhode island reds, (I'm very new to chickens). When bought them I asked for barred rocks and as they aged the got red and I knew I got the wrong kind from the breeder. Yes they are all hens as well. Why are my others not laying? They are out majority of the day, they get lots of fruits and veggies along with their layer pellets, and access to grit and oyster shells all the time. There is 6 nesting boxes in the coop as well. The can't see outside in their coop and nothing can get in (their coop is in a barn) So I know nothing is stalking them. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or anything I can do to speed up the process?

It is extremely rare and next to impossible for them to lay two eggs, so I think that you might have two pullets that are laying.

There's no way that you can speed up the process because they start to lay on their own time. The only thing that you can do is have patience.

It seems like everything you are doing is wonderful for pullets like layer feed, oyster shell, and you have plenty of nesting boxes.

I would just have a little patience and let them lay on their own time. Waiting for them to lay eggs is the hardest part, I know I've been impatient waiting for some of mine to lay. Once mine start laying usually the others follow.

You can get fake eggs and put them in the nesting boxes so they know that those are where they lay their eggs.

If you free range your chickens they could be laying elsewhere...

It is extremely rare and next to impossible for them to lay two eggs, so I think that you might have two pullets that are laying.

There's no way that you can speed up the process because they start to lay on their own time. The only thing that you can do is have patience.

It seems like everything you are doing is wonderful for pullets like layer feed, oyster shell, and you have plenty of nesting boxes.

I would just have a little patience and let them lay on their own time. Waiting for them to lay eggs is the hardest part, I know I've been impatient waiting for some of mine to lay. Once mine start laying usually the others follow.

You can get fake eggs and put them in the nesting boxes so they know that those are where they lay their eggs.

They aren't free range they have a pen and there isn't hidden nests, I dig under all bedding etc. everyday. And I have fake eggs in there. I know it's only the one laying, I have a camera that I also check when I have two eggs laid and it's the same hen laying them. Thanks for the advice it's very much appreciated I was just worried it was something I was doing wrong.

:welcome Any possibility that they have a hidden nest? Can you lock them in their coop for a couple of days to check on production ?

I have checked outside (they aren't free range) and I dig through the bedding everyday and the nesting boxes. I also know it's only the one hen laying because I have a camera up there that records videos, (used to be one of my horse stalls) And I can see she's the only one laying, that's how I also figured out she was the one laying 2 eggs sometimes as well. I can lock them in there however I don't see a point in doing so as it just stresses them out because they are so used to going outside. Thank you for the response. :)

And I can see she's the only one laying,
But if they all are same breed, can you tell them apart?

Here's some tips on how to tell...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

they get lots of fruits and veggies along with their layer pellets,
This could be part of the problem. Layer feed is minimal nutrition the fruits and veg are diluting that without adding much.
Best not to feed layer until all birds are laying.

Can you tell if the remaining chickens are getting close to laying? Are their combs and wattles getting bright red? Do they squat when you put your hand down close to their back? Do they show any interest in the nest boxes?
I presume you have light of some kind in their coop so they can see in there, as you say they can't see outside from their coop. Maybe barn lights.
The only thing I would do differently is switch to an all flock feed as it is higher in protein than layer feed. Your oyster shells on the side would be sufficient for calcium. Also, maybe cut back on the fruit and vegetables.
I experienced a few years ago in my flock that it is really easy to feed them too much produce. They like it better than their pellets, but it doesn't give the what they need to produce eggs for us. If the idea of "treats" is hard to give up, high protein treats such as black oil sunflower seed or tuna or sardines (without mustard) are good. Or mealworms. Mealworms are crazy easy to raise, fun for a kids project, and your chickens will love you.

I Have 2 yokohama bantams that are 25 weeks and they are not laying yet either....although one has been swatting for me lately

Back
Top Bottom