Chickens not laying eggs

thank you for the link! I read it but still not quite sure why my hens stopped laying. Me and my neighbor give them lots of blueberries. Are the blueberries healthy for them? They also haven't been eating as many pellets as they did before. I think they have had too many blueberries and have stopped eating their regular food. Maybe the blueberries don't have the amount of nutrients to keep them laying eggs.

thank you for the link! I read it but still not quite sure why my hens stopped laying. Me and my neighbor give them lots of blueberries. Are the blueberries healthy for them? They also haven't been eating as many pellets as they did before. I think they have had too many blueberries and have stopped eating their regular food. Maybe the blueberries don't have the amount of nutrients to keep them laying eggs.
Ayup...keep treats to a minimum.
The heat can slow them down too.
What breeds do you have and how old are they?
Some slow down their second year of laying.

I just read the above posts. I was given my hens (8 of them)- they are about 8 months old. As far as I know they had been laying regularly. I have had them for about 2 weeks. I feed them a feed mill scratch and I mix it with cracked corn. They are also free ranging all day. They return on their own to the coop several times a day. One hen is laying 1 egg once a day. At this rate I figure I will have to charge 250.00 a dozen when I finally accumulate 12 eggs!! :lau

I just read the above posts. I was given my hens (8 of them)- they are about 8 months old. As far as I know they had been laying regularly. I have had them for about 2 weeks. I feed them a feed mill scratch and I mix it with cracked corn. They are also free ranging all day. They return on their own to the coop several times a day. One hen is laying 1 egg once a day. At this rate I figure I will have to charge 250.00 a dozen when I finally accumulate 12 eggs!! :lau
A move can cause a cessation of lay due to stress of a new environment...
....and a different diet.

Mill scratch mixed with more corn is probably low in nutrients....
....and vitamins/minerals/amino acids.

Put them on a good layer ration,
with scratch and corn as an occasional 'treat',
and you'll probably see more eggs.

This is what I am feeding - 16% LAY CRUMBS with OYSTER SHELLS. It does not come mixed with cracked corn so I add it.
Should I switch or mix with this? SCRATCH GRAIN > basic cracked corn, whole wheat & whole oats

This is what I am feeding - 16% LAY CRUMBS with OYSTER SHELLS. It does not come mixed with cracked corn so I add it.
Should I switch or mix with this? SCRATCH GRAIN > basic cracked corn, whole wheat & whole oats
16% layer...with oyster shells mixed in by mill?
Layer crumble is probably made mostly from corn,
look at the ingredient list to see,
so not good to mix more in as it will reduce overall protein and other nutrient content.

Layer feed should always be available.
Corn and scratch grains given in moderation as a 'treat'....
....no more than 10% volume of layer feed eaten each day.

Reading the fine print on feed bags is a good thing to learn....
...so overall protein(~15-16% min) and calcium(3-4%) requirements are met.
Having extra oyster shells available in a separate container is never a bad thing to do, some birds need more.

: I like to feed a flock raiser/starter/grower/finisher type feed with 20% protein crumble full time to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.
Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (a freshly trapped mouse, mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided once in while and during molting and/or if I see any feather eating.

Originally Posted by junebuggena
Here's the break-down on feeds, simplified.
Scratch- not a feed, but a supplement. It's something to toss in the run to give the birds something to 'scratch' around for. Most chickens go crazy for scratch grains, so it's really useful for training purposes.

Starter- usually a finely ground feed with a high protein content to fuel young chicks' growth and feather development. Available in medicated (to help prevent coccidia outbreaks) and un-medicated.

Grower/all flock/flock raiser- usually a slightly lower protein content than starter. Appropriate to feed to all chickens, at all stages of life. Good for flocks with birds that are at different stages and flocks that free range or get treats/scraps frequently (daily).

Layer- for actively laying birds only. Has just enough protein to support egg production, if it is the only source of nutrition, and added calcium for eggshells. Is not appropriate for young birds, roosters, or birds that aren't laying due to brooding or molting. Is not appropriate for active flocks that forage frequently. Is not appropriate for flocks that get treats, veggies, scratch, or other low protein goodies on a regular basis.

Ayup...keep treats to a minimum.
The heat can slow them down too.
What breeds do you have and how old are they?
Some slow down their second year of laying.
I have Rhode Island reds, black silkies, New Hampshire's, Russians, and Easter eggers. They are all alittle over1 except the Easter eggers. Those are 11 months to one year.

You want maximum egg production and quality. No treats of any kind. No scratch grains. No cracked corn. No whole corn. No fruits. No vegetables. No kitchen scraps. No table scraps.
Feeding anything but chicken feed, as in layers feed, all-flock feed, or an 18% start & grow type will affect production and quality.
Of course we love our chickens so give them treats once or twice daily, what they consume in 15/20 minutes.
You will get less eggs, but you will enjoy watching them eat the treats. GC

We actually give them lots of vegies and fruits. They love cherry tomatoes and blueberries. Earlier in the year, they were laying a good number of eggs. Since spring started, it seem as if the number of eggs they lay has shrunk. i was thinking they don't have enough calcium in their diet. Do you know of any chicken feed that is high in calcium?

Back
Top Bottom