Chickens not laying

Potatofire101

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2017
My chickens are about a year and a half old. They regularly produce eggs and have been pretty consistent all year. This is not their first winter. This winter they molted for the first time. Everything seemed fine but for the last few weeks we haven't gotten any eggs! None. Zero. I feel that it is weird that they haven't laid at all. Is something wrong with them? It is not freezing or anything. The days are shorter but still. I live in central California so there is not a huge cold storm.

It is normal for production to stop in the fall for hens to molt and recover. Many people get spoiled by that first year of uninterrupted production.

Your hens will start back up between now and April generally. They will lay bigger eggs their second season, but they will also lay less. Each season they will lay less until they stop completely.

If production is important to you, than get new chicks each spring to lay through the winter.

Completely normal. Egg production is directly tied to light exposure. Shorter days means fewer eggs. Good news is that the days will be getting a little bit longer everyday from now on.

I've had the same problem.
But for the past 6 months.
I have about 25-30 chickens. I have owned chickens for the past 8 years.
Never had any problem with egg production.
I am aware of molting, less light in winter, etc.
Some of my chickens are 8 years old.
There are 12 hens that are 2 years old.
Always gotten ~ 7-14 eggs/day.
Until this past June.
For the past 6 months, I've only gotten 1-4 per day.
Sometimes none.
I stopped feeding them mixed grains.
Only layer crumbles and threw in some baby chick feed to boost up the protein.
Still nothing!

8 years of having chickens. Never had this problem.
I did introduce another 10 baby chicks back in June, but have done that before
and didn't have any interruption of egg laying.

So frustrating! I even installed an automatic door so they stay out longer.
No difference.

Most breeds of chickens will lay right through their first winter. After that they'll molt every autumn and each year will take a winter break during and after molt. Each year the winter break will get longer and longer.
As others have said, this is perfectly normal.

I've posted the following information several times but here goes again.

It has nothing to do with temperature. However it is related to day length or, more accurately, whether days are getting shorter or lengthening.
It just happens to be cold when days are short in most climates.

Here's a brief rundown of the science.
Light exposure to the retina is first relayed to the nucleus of the hypothalamus, an area of the brain that coordinates biological clock signals. Fibers from there descend to the spinal cord and then project to the superior cervical ganglia, from which neurons ascend back to the pineal gland. The pineal gland translates signals from the nervous system into a hormonal signal.

When light periods are shorter, the gland produces serotonin and subsequently, melatonin. That's the hormone that affects the gonads for sperm production in males and ovulation in females. An increase in melatonin causes the gonads to become inactive. This also causes combs and wattles to pale and shrink.
Photoperiod, in relation to day vs. night, is the most important clue for animals to determine season. And by extension, when to reproduce.
Cold really has very little to do with egg production. The same thing happens whether it is a cold or warm climate.
As light lengthens, the gonads are rejuvenated. The duration of melatonin secretion each day is directly proportional to the length of the night because of the pineal gland's ability to measure daylength. Besides reproduction, it also affects sleep timing and blood pressure regulation.
So as the light period increases, in relation to the dark period, it stimulates reproduction, the growing and reddening of combs/wattles - voila - EGGS.

I've had the same problem.
But for the past 6 months.
I have about 25-30 chickens. I have owned chickens for the past 8 years.
Never had any problem with egg production.
I am aware of molting, less light in winter, etc.
Some of my chickens are 8 years old.
There are 12 hens that are 2 years old.
Always gotten ~ 7-14 eggs/day.
Until this past June.
For the past 6 months, I've only gotten 1-4 per day.
Sometimes none.
I stopped feeding them mixed grains.
Only layer crumbles and threw in some baby chick feed to boost up the protein.
Still nothing!

8 years of having chickens. Never had this problem.
I did introduce another 10 baby chicks back in June, but have done that before
and didn't have any interruption of egg laying.

So frustrating! I even installed an automatic door so they stay out longer.
No difference.
What breeds are your birds.
I wouldn't expect an 8 year old bird to lay an egg in the dead of winter. Even after they start up in a couple months, you'll likely only be getting eggs from some of them and then just a couple times a week.
The 12 two year old birds will reboot soon.

it's just strange that I've never seen a break this long in the 8 years I've had chickens.
They appear to all be in perfect health.

The older ones are Barred Rocks and Reds.
The two year old hens are Golden Sexlink, Black Australorp and Welsummer.
The 6 month old ones are Araucana's.

They live outside. 2000' above the Napa Valley.
Their 'coop' is a 30'x30' chicken wire enclosure.
With a cinder block hen house.
They have 3000 square ft. of free range all day.

True Araucana are not known to be outstanding layers. If they are actually Easter Eggers, then a higher protein diet than layer feed typically offers is needed for them to mature and start laying in a timely manner. Sexlinks also typically need a higher protein diet.

I stopped feeding them scratch/mixed grain altogether a couple months ago.
They still get a small amount of kitchen scraps every day.
Not very much - I cook only for myself and share with my 30 chickens.
I feed them layer crumbles, cage mix and baby chick feed.
They do have access to a bit of fresh grass/weeds around their chicken run.
Lots of access to worms/bugs - 3000' sq.ft.

Would that be enough protein?

Back
Top Bottom