Chickens Not Paying Their Rent - Need Advice

Parsino

Hatching
Jul 6, 2023
Hi everyone. First post here.

I have six laying chickens that are about 2-3 years old. I'm typically getting two eggs a day, on a good day I'll get three. Today I had one. This has gone on through the winter, spring, and now into summer.

I spoke with a friend who owns chickens and he recommended I get electrolytes and a layer booster for their water. I've done both of these things.
(Layer booster: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078X24KNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I suspected the food I was buying might also be the culprit, so I did some Youtube research and found a recipe for making my own chicken feed. This recipe includes:
  • Soybean meal (about 1/3 bag)
  • Whole wheat (whole bag)
  • Whole oats (whole bag)
  • Whole corn (whole bag)
  • A small amount of ground flax seed
I also have oyster shells available to them in a separate bowl whenever they need it.

We feed them table scraps when we have them. Their cage is fairly large and we let them out frequently (as long as we're outside with them so they don't become snacks for the wildlife).

I started the new feed and the water additives more than a month ago and I haven't seen any difference. Telling them I'm going to eat them for dinner if they don't start producing hasn't helped, either.

The water I give them is unfiltered city water.

I don't know the breeds but I can look through our records or take pics if needed.

Any advice on what I can do to improve their egg laying? Thank you!

hello @Parsino :frow welcome to BYC

I have six laying chickens that are about 2-3 years old. I'm typically getting two eggs a day, on a good day I'll get three. Today I had one. This has gone on through the winter, spring, and now into summer.
If you have been getting 2-3 eggs per day from 6 hens for 7/8 months, I expect that your hens are taking a well earned break from laying and going into molt (their old feathers fall out and they grow new ones in time for winter).
If, on the other hand, you've been getting 1 egg per day (your prose is not clear; to what does 'this' refer?) probably something else is going on.

Please clarify the situation so we can advise.

If you have been getting 2-3 eggs per day from 6 hens for 7/8 months, I expect that your hens are taking a well earned break from laying and going into molt (their old feathers fall out and they grow new ones in time for winter).
If, on the other hand, you've been getting 1 egg per day (your prose is not clear; to what does 'this' refer?) probably something else is going on.

Thank you for getting back to me!

Since writing the original post, I've gone from 2-3 eggs a day down to 1-2 eggs a day.

They did molt late winter/early spring.

I have one chicken that is simply not laying at all. I know because I have to keep her separated to not get pecked by the other chickens (a friend gave her to me). She's a Rhode Island Red. After we got her, she laid one egg per day two days in a row, followed by an egg with no shell, and then quit laying altogether.

Any other info you would need to assess the situation?

OK let's try to work systematically through the possibilities.
what time of year is it where you are?
how long ago did they start the laying cycle that they are in?
It's right in the middle of summer. I live in Washington State in the US. The wet side of the state.

(By the way I see that you're in Wales. I descend from Welsh coal miners on my paternal grandfather's side.)

In terms of their current laying cycle, it's tough to answer because in the four years I've been keeping chickens, I've gone through multiple iterations of feeding the local wildlife (coyotes, raccoons, eagles, hawks, and I think weasels) and then getting new chicks, until I finally decided to keep them caged up unless I'm outside with them. I haven't lost any since deciding to do that.

That said, I currently have 3 that I raised from chicks and 3 that a friend gave to me. I point this out because I don't know the ages of the chickens my friend gave me, and, honestly, for the 3 I raised from chicks, I don't remember if they're one or two years old due to the blur of wild animals eating my iterations of chickens.

That being the case! The current layer cycle has been going on at least since last autumn. I grumbled all throughout the winter on how few eggs they were laying (which of course it's normal for them to lay less), and was excited when spring rolled around for my increased egg production, which never occurred.

As I got closer to summer, I began to suspect it was something I was doing with the food, which is why I looked into switching their food and putting the electrolytes and layer additives in their water.

One thing I can still think of is I'm giving them unfiltered city water, which God only knows what chemical cocktail that contains.

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks!

It's right in the middle of summer. I live in Washington State in the US. The wet side of the state.

(By the way I see that you're in Wales. I descend from Welsh coal miners on my paternal grandfather's side.)

In terms of their current laying cycle, it's tough to answer because in the four years I've been keeping chickens, I've gone through multiple iterations of feeding the local wildlife (coyotes, raccoons, eagles, hawks, and I think weasels) and then getting new chicks, until I finally decided to keep them caged up unless I'm outside with them. I haven't lost any since deciding to do that.

That said, I currently have 3 that I raised from chicks and 3 that a friend gave to me. I point this out because I don't know the ages of the chickens my friend gave me, and, honestly, for the 3 I raised from chicks, I don't remember if they're one or two years old due to the blur of wild animals eating my iterations of chickens.

That being the case! The current layer cycle has been going on at least since last autumn. I grumbled all throughout the winter on how few eggs they were laying (which of course it's normal for them to lay less), and was excited when spring rolled around for my increased egg production, which never occurred.

As I got closer to summer, I began to suspect it was something I was doing with the food, which is why I looked into switching their food and putting the electrolytes and layer additives in their water.

One thing I can still think of is I'm giving them unfiltered city water, which God only knows what chemical cocktail that contains.

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks!
:frow bore da! Welsh miners were an adventurous lot!

The calendar and the actual weather are not always in sync, and certainly not here this year; a couple of mine have started moulting and I think they think it's autumn (the usual time to dump old and grow new feathers, so they're in best condition for the onslaught of winter weather). So maybe that is happening with one or more of your flock too. Especially if they have been laying, however infrequently, since last autumn. Their bodies need some R&R for good health and longevity.

Then there is the issue of what breed they are; some lay more than others, in the early years especially. Typically the commercial layer type breed lays almost every day in the first 18 months and then goes into a molt, at which point the commercial operation 'depopulates' and after cleaning and disinfecting the sheds, starts again with fresh young birds. Typically the heritage (traditional farmyard) type lays fewer eggs per year than the commercial ones manage in their first year, but then continue laying at that rate for 4 years or thereabouts before tailing off, sometimes continuing to lay an egg or two more or less intermittently till they're 8 or older.

Then there is the issue of the individual bird. Some lay more than others even of the same breed on the same feed and all other things being equal. False layers (i.e. go into nesting boxes but don't lay anything) are near impossible to spot in large anonymous flocks but exist even in commercial flocks. Commercial breeds have been developed simply by selecting the 'best' (i,e. most eggs in first year) layers and breeding from them, iteration after iteration.

Then there is the issue of food and water. If you confine the birds you have to supply everything they need. (I get that there is a large predator load in your area, but the birds that survive it enhance their skills with each day lived and pass them on to young birds being raised in the flock. If you have a mixed breed flock it's easier to see who's doing what, whether laying or surviving.) I would advise keeping any supplements and additives separate from whatever you give them as food and especially always have clean fresh water available - and if you really don't trust the water from the tap, collect rainwater in a closed barrel and make that available too. Mine like puddle rainwater and it's not done them any harm as far as I can see, but they always have fresh tap water available too. My advice is to trust their instincts and don't force your food or water supplement choices on them by making them that or starve.

My advice is also to consider that they may just be poor layers, at the moment. I nearly culled a hen who laid soft shelled eggs most of her first year. I'm really glad I didn't because she's 6 now and has been one of the best layers in the flock since that first year, laying over 100 eggs last year for example. Moreover, all those of hers that were set under a broody were fertile, and shells strong. And the 6/7 that hatched successfully (1 didn't make it out of the shell completely before the broody took the rest off the nest) are all alive and well and laying or crowing, with no issues. I don't know if that hen just needed a long time to get her shell gland working properly, or if, as I think more likely, she was actually ill with something or other. Which leads to the last point,

They may be challenged with some illness working through the flock. Many minor illnesses go unnoticed, because chickens are very good at hiding them (to avoid becoming the obvious target for predators). But they take a toll on egg laying. My advice in this case is to be patient, to provide the best care you can, and hope they are restored to good health as soon as possible.

:frow bore da! Welsh miners were an adventurous lot!

I'm multiple generations into no one in the family speaking a word of Welsh. :p My grandpa used to tell me stories of his grandparents taking him to a Welsh church where he couldn't understand anything at all. That said, because it's my paternal grandfather, the family name I ended up with was the Welsh one.

Update: I'm getting three eggs a day now and one of my chickens is definitely sick.

The calendar and the actual weather are not always in sync, and certainly not here this year; a couple of mine have started moulting and I think they think it's autumn (the usual time to dump old and grow new feathers, so they're in best condition for the onslaught of winter weather). So maybe that is happening with one or more of your flock too. Especially if they have been laying, however infrequently, since last autumn. Their bodies need some R&R for good health and longevity.

This is good to know. There are a lot of feathers around the coop right now, but I don't know if that's from the older chickens harassing the adolescent chicks or if someone is molting. In any case, it helps me to know that the chicken year and the calendar year aren't always lined up.

In terms of the weather: I suspect we have similar climates. Right now it's hot time of year (August is usually the hottest) where we get a small reprieve from the constant rain.

Then there is the issue of what breed they are; some lay more than others, in the early years especially. Typically the commercial layer type breed lays almost every day in the first 18 months and then goes into a molt, at which point the commercial operation 'depopulates' and after cleaning and disinfecting the sheds, starts again with fresh young birds. Typically the heritage (traditional farmyard) type lays fewer eggs per year than the commercial ones manage in their first year, but then continue laying at that rate for 4 years or thereabouts before tailing off, sometimes continuing to lay an egg or two more or less intermittently till they're 8 or older.

This is also really good to know. Our breed selection centers more around what my 4 year old daughter thinks is cute over what are the best layers. I've also given up trying to keep track of the breeds because we've lost so many. I took pictures of them all for the post. (You'll never guess that my daughter came up with all of the names.)

black chicken.jpg

This is Black Chicken. She reflects green in the sun. Not sure about her current laying capacity because her eggs look similar to some of the other chickens. (White egg)

gray chicken.jpg

This is Gray Chicken. Not sure of her laying capacity for the same reason as above. (White egg)

purple chicken.jpg

This is Purple Chicken. She's probably my best layer. (Big tan egg with dark spots)

white chicken.jpg

This is White Chicken. A friend gave us this one. Not sure on laying capacity for same reasons as above. (White egg)

yellow chicken.jpg

This is Yellow Chicken. She came from the same friend at the same time as White Chicken. She's the one currently sick and isn't laying at all. I have her separated because White Chicken has been viciously mean to her, which is surprising as Yellow Chicken is usually the one ruling the roost.

new chicken.jpg

This is New Chicken. She came from the same friend, but by herself much later. ALL the other chickens are ruthless to her (except for Yellow Chicken, now that she's sick), so I've had to keep her separated since taking her. She has several feathers missing from her left wing from getting picked on. When she arrived she was sick (one eye was stuck shut). After she got better, she laid two eggs, followed by an egg with no shell, then quit laying altogether. I can't get rid of her because she's the most gentle chicken I've ever seen in my life. She's almost like a dog--she wants to be around people more than she wants to be around chickens. She's a Rhode Island Red, but I don't think 100% because of her black tail.

Summary: if New Chicken has never been part of the laying equation and Yellow Chicken is sick, I supposed 3 eggs out of 4 chickens isn't that bad.

Then there is the issue of food and water. If you confine the birds you have to supply everything they need. (I get that there is a large predator load in your area, but the birds that survive it enhance their skills with each day lived and pass them on to young birds being raised in the flock.

The birds have a full supply of water and food at all times, we give them table scraps whenever we have them, and let them out when we can/feel it's safe to do so. I get that the chickens can learn to be more careful from predators, but I've had my flock go to zero on more than one occasion. The last time that happened the only reason I didn't give up on chickens is because they've essentially become pets for my daughter.

Speaking of food, they have certainly decided they don't like a part of the new feed mix I've been giving them. I can't tell if it's oats, wheat, or both, but they dig through looking for the corn and leave the rest on the ground. Occasionally I'll tie their feeder up to make them eat what they've left on the ground, but I can't tell if they're going on a hunger strike or not when I do that. They won't have the frantic FEED ME I'M SO HUNGRY LOOK, but the food never fully gets pecked off of the ground:

photo_2023-07-19_20-40-19 (2).jpg

Close up of the feed.

photo_2023-07-19_20-40-22.jpg

How much they leave on the ground.

photo_2023-07-19_20-40-21.jpg

Close up of what's on the ground. Do those look like oats, wheat, or both?

I would advise keeping any supplements and additives separate from whatever you give them as food and especially always have clean fresh water available
I can do this.

and if you really don't trust the water from the tap, collect rainwater in a closed barrel and make that available too. Mine like puddle rainwater and it's not done them any harm as far as I can see, but they always have fresh tap water available too. My advice is to trust their instincts and don't force your food or water supplement choices on them by making them that or starve.
I've been thinking about getting rain barrels for awhile. Might have to do it after this discussion.

My advice is also to consider that they may just be poor layers, at the moment.
I will stop threatening to eat them, then. :p

They may be challenged with some illness working through the flock. Many minor illnesses go unnoticed, because chickens are very good at hiding them (to avoid becoming the obvious target for predators). But they take a toll on egg laying. My advice in this case is to be patient, to provide the best care you can, and hope they are restored to good health as soon as possible.
It never occurred to me that they would hide being sick to not be a clear target for predators.

I really appreciate the time you're taking to respond to me. I had another question: do you have any experience with rooster collars for roosters to get them to quiet down? We really want to have a rooster, both to make our own chicks and to protect the flock, but I'm within city limits and I'm not allowed to have one. If I could get one to quiet down, I wouldn't care what the city thinks as long as the neighbors are happy.

This is Purple Chicken.
She's a Speckled Sussex; very pretty. I hope to have some of them one day.
This is Yellow Chicken. She came from the same friend at the same time as White Chicken. She's the one currently sick and isn't laying at all. I have her separated because White Chicken has been viciously mean to her, which is surprising as Yellow Chicken is usually the one ruling the roost.
In my experience a flock tolerates one of their number who is sick with something idiopathic (non-contagious) but turn on one who has something infectious and who therefore represents a threat to the health of everyone else. Sometimes a bird with something idiopathic then gets something infectious in their weakened state.
ALL the other chickens are ruthless to her (except for Yellow Chicken, now that she's sick), so I've had to keep her separated since taking her
When she arrived she was sick (one eye was stuck shut). After she got better, she laid two eggs, followed by an egg with no shell, then quit laying altogether.
She came from the same friend
It sounds like your friend's flock has something and the birds she gave you have passed or are passing it on in your flock. New chicken may resume laying in due course (maybe a year or so hence) if she recovers completely from whatever it is afflicting her. You might want to talk with your friend about any visible illness in her flock and what her experience has been. In particular, does she know what it is. The swollen eye suggests mycoplasma, which is in lots of flocks, whether or not the keeper knows it.
She's a Rhode Island Red, but I don't think 100% because of her black tail
that's standard among RIR. See e.g. https://archive.org/details/Storeys_Illustrated_Guide_to_Poultry_Breeds_Complete/
I don't recognize the others in your flock so you might want to browse Storey to see if you can ID them there.
I supposed 3 eggs out of 4 chickens isn't that bad
Indeed, especially since they are not production breeds.
they have certainly decided they don't like a part of the new feed mix I've been giving them. I can't tell if it's oats, wheat, or both, but they dig through looking for the corn and leave the rest on the ground
Do those look like oats, wheat, or both?
They look like oats. Mine are not fond of whole oats (or barley) either. They will eat such if they're starving and there's nothing else available (as people will eat all sorts in starvation circumstances), but it would be better to offer them more of what they like while you use up the oats you've already bought. Have you tried soaking the grains to soften them?
do you have any experience with rooster collars for roosters to get them to quiet down
No I don't sorry. I'm fortunate to live in a rural environment.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom